Author Topic: 12 men of Coanwood  (Read 3185 times)

Offline StephenAndrews1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
12 men of Coanwood
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello to the list,

One of my FreeREG transcribers has been working on the burials for Haltwhistle and has come across an entry in 1777 relating to a William BELL with the anecdote "One of the 12 men of Coanwood".

Does anyone know what or who the "12 men of Coanwood" were?

Thanks and regards,

Stephen Andrews
Martin, Arrowsmith, Lambert, Lemon, Colton, Sheppard, Hutchinson, Rowe, Tong, Lewis, Notts, Yorks, Flint.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 12 men of Coanwood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Could it be to do with some mining accident, there was a Coanwood Colliery in the 19th century.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,  There was an article on BBC Look North just about 3 weeks ago about this.

apparently there was a group of men who were set up to look after the interests of the people and property of the village or parish of Coanwood which I believe is in Cumbria.

There were initially 12 Men in the group and there still are 12 men, when one dies another man is chosen and appointed ( by the remaining 11 men I believe) to replace him.

Malcolm.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
coanwood is in Northumberland, although it is very close to the border woth Cumbria.

I think they are as Malcommon suggests a group of local men set up to dseal with local affairs.

These types of groups occur all over the country.

There was a similar group referred to in this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,524572.msg3797307.html#msg3797307

and there is more information on what these particular men did at

http://www.thedales.org.uk/TheHistoryOfAskrigg
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline StephenAndrews1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for your replies.  I'll file this info away under my "something new learnt today" neurons!
Martin, Arrowsmith, Lambert, Lemon, Colton, Sheppard, Hutchinson, Rowe, Tong, Lewis, Notts, Yorks, Flint.

Offline Nigelco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sephen
I understand you are researching Lemon, Selston Nottinghamshire. My grandma was Frances Lemon, Daughter of George Lemon( coal minor from Possibly Selston or Sheffield. The  info i have  is very sketch. My grandma was brought up in a convent school/ orphanage in Sheffield circa 1900 . Her father George died young. I dont know of the mother. Perhaps you have researched more if the same line

Regards

Nigel Cocking