Author Topic: Vince / Vinson family  (Read 14068 times)

Offline stephenGV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vince / Vinson family
« on: Monday 20 June 11 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm a new member from Australia and would like to know if there are any helpful sites or links to the Vince or Vinson family in Norfolk or possibly Suffolk in the mid to early seventeenth century.

I am a direct descendant of a son (Robert Vince born 1680) of Henry Vince born 1655 in Hackford who was married to Mary Betts.

My Australian line originates from Henry's gggg grandson Robert Stebbin Vince born 1828 in Norfolk who married an Elizabeth Mary Anderson in Tasmania.

Elizabeth Anderson was the grand daughter of two first fleet and two third fleet convicts. So an interesting mix of ancestry.

I have come up against a real block with the 1655 Henry Vince and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe there is some conjecture that the family name was changed from Vinson to Vince around this time as well, but might only be an unfounded story.

Thanks

Stephen Vince

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vince / Vinson family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi  The robert who married mary betts is listed as vincent on the parish record 4th november 1695 hackford [ nr Hingham] the family search record search site has a lot of norfolk parish records on it , havent found henry yet.

regards alan

Offline stephenGV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan

I might have been a bit unclear in my post and your answer actually is very intriguing.

In my tree I have Robert Vince marrying Elizabeth Wright (Mary Betts is his mother?). Robert's father, Henry married Mary Betts.

The birth dates appear to bear this out. Robert was born in 1680 and Elizabeth in 1683 in Lichfield Staffordshire.

Both Henry and Mary are shown as being born in 1655.

Can you tell me if the parish record of 1695 is in relation to Robert's marriage. He would only have been 15 but I suppose marriages were made at a younger age then? Maybe his mother's name was mixed up as his spouse?

To be honrest I can not at this stage find my source of this information so if you have something concrete I am happy to adjust my records.

Yes, I think that there was a family name change around this time.

Cheers

Stephen

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

The records Alan is talking about are online and free to search and view.

Here's the marriage he refers to - http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dv9/

Here is the one I think you will have on your tree - Robert Vinsont m Elizabeth Wright October 6 1706 - http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dva/  - on the first page.

On the second page of the same image, is the burial of a Henry Vinson son of Robert and Elizabeth Vinson.

There are quite a lot of trees on Ancestry with Henry Vince (b 1655 Hackford), but none of them have a "proper" source for this baptism.

I don't want to sound like a party-pooper but during the years 1643-1660, there are many gaps in Parish Registers during the Civil War and the Commonwealth.

Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi stephen looks like yorkslass has answered for me i tried to add link but could not get it to work , good luck with your search.

regards alan

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen, I think we might be related,I hope this of help to you.Robert Vince/Vincent birth unknown. He was married twice, he married Mary Betts in Hackford Norfolk 4/11/1695. Mary died 16/01/1704 in Hackford.He married a Eliabeth Wright on the 06/10/1706 in Hackford,Elizabeth was born in Hingham Norfolk in 1683,she died on the 02/11/1730 in Hackford Norfolk age 47 years.
 Robert and Mary 5 Children, none was named Henry, but they had a son Robert 06/03/1697 in Hackford, he died 13/03/1697 in Hackford at less than one year of age. Roberts marriage to Elizabeth Wright they had 8 Children.
 Henry Vincent born 1707 died 1707 in Hackford, and Robert Vincent born in Hackford 25/03/1711 died 18/05/1712 in Hackford at one yearof age.
   They had another son Robert he was born in 1714 in Hackford. this is the branch of the tree, Robert Vince was my 5 x grt Gandfather. I hope this is of help to you, if I can be of help please let me know.
                                                                              Kind Regards
                                                                                                 Tomscot
Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline stephenGV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Well, a VERY BIG thank you to all who have responded.

Such a mine of information.

Allan and Yorklass first up your advice about the link to the Norfolk records has been invaluable.

I was able to search through all the pages and sort of figured out that my line came from a second Robert after the death at less than one year of age of a first Robert.

But I was still butting my head up against the fact that I had Mary Betts marrying a Henry Vince which simply did not make any sense.

But after reading Tomscot's last posting it has all become much clearer.

I was also able to find the records of the confirmation of seven of the eight children of Robert's second marriage to Elizabeth Wright in these pages.

Henry B1707
Edward B1708
Mary B1710
Second Robert B1711 D1712
Thomas B1712
Christian (female?) B1713
Third Robert B1714

And now I see that in fact there was also a first Robert born to Mary Betts who also in his died first year of life 1697.

I can now see that this supposed marriage between Henry Vince /Vincent/ Vinson and Mary Betts is wrong and is a red herring. To be honrest not sure where I came up with it but possibly from another Vince tree here in Australia that just guessed this link.

Now I can see that Henry Vince/Vincent/Vinson if he existed at all is possibly Robert Vincent's (born 1680) father and he is still the hard nut to crack and given the chaos of the Civil war may never be identified.

Although I have found an article talking about the first time the name Vince is recorded in Norfolk as being a marriage between a William Vince to Joane Bottwrighte 20 September 1562.

I'm currently trying to track this couple and their son William's path forward into the 17Th century so still some fun to be had here.

Tomscot, Hi as a very distant relation.

:D

My tree back to Robert is thus:

Alick Vince B1918 Hobart Tasmania 1918 my father
Alfred Vince B1885 Lower Longley Tasmania 1885
William Vince B1851 Sandy Bay Tasmania
**** Robert (Stebbin) Vince B1828 Norfolk. This Vince married into the convict line in my
                   family.
**** William Vince B1804 Norfolk. He brought his family out to Australia as free settlers   
                   on the ship the Mary in 1835
Allen Vince B1767 England
Robert Vince B1747 Norfolk
Robert Vince B1714 Hackford

So Robert is my 6x great grandfather.

Does your tree forward to the William who emigrated to Australia in 1835 tie in with my thoughts? and where in the line does your tree branch off from mine?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Stephen

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 11 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen just to throw another spanner in the works there is a henry vincent who married a mary hawthorn in hackford in 1692.   another helpful site is norfolk transciption archive-surnames.

regards alan

Offline stephenGV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 June 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan

Thanks for the new tip regarding the Henry Vince marrying in 1692.

I really think the Henry thing was an error as far as my tree is concerned.

The new site you referred me to is another big help to me being so far from the source documents.

I have found my Robert Vince born in 1680 recorded there as Robert Vinsent and it also records his marriage to Elizabeth Wright and the birth of his son, another Robert Vinsent. Plus some of the deaths of his children that I already knew about (all recorded as Vinsents).

So I think I will ignore the Robert Vinces (again I can not find in my paperwork where I got this lead from originally) and look back through the Vinsents and Vincents instead.

Cheers

Stephen