Author Topic: Hitchin Hospital  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Mr.Blueyezz

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Travers Cornwell VC (My 1st Cousin 2xremoved)
    • View Profile
Hitchin Hospital
« on: Monday 20 June 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Where can i obtain old photos of the Hospital please?
I believe it was pulled sometime ago and a Morrisons supermarket was built there.
Carter,Cornwell,Smith,Palmer,Phibben,Bottisham Lode,Baldock,Cambridgeshire,Fulbourn,Merthyr Tydfil,Abercwmboi,Aberdare,Soham,Suffolk,Steeple Morden,Guilden Morden,Cambridge,South Cadbury,Castle Camps,The Fens,Plantagent Royal Family

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchin Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Photos of what is known as Hitchin Hospital today at Talbot Street, Oughton Head Way, Hitchin, SG5 2QU can be found by putting Hitchin Hospital into google images.

This is an early Victorian building which is used as a rehab unit. I have no idea whether it formed part of the original Hitchin hospital, but I am sure someone with local knowledge will be able to advise.

There is nothing in the Francis Frith collection, but there is a photo of a souvenir issued by the hospital to commerate a visit in 1929 by the late Queen Mother with an image of the hosptial on it, on Chris Reynold's Genealogy in Hertfordshire site.

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/ephemera/hitchin-hospital-1929.htm

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
The Hospital in Talbot Street was originally the Union Workhouse and later a hospital, becoming the Lister Hospital which was moved to Stevenage in 1972.

The site knocked down for a supermarket (originally Safeways, then Morrisons and now Waitrose) was the Lairage, an agricultural market area.

Thomas Bellamy House, in Bedford Road, is all that remains and it was named after one of the surgeons.  You can probably get more info from

Hitchin Museum
Hitchin Historial Society
HALS (Hitchin Archives & Local Studies) in Hertford.

Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Mr.Blueyezz

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Travers Cornwell VC (My 1st Cousin 2xremoved)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info  :)
Carter,Cornwell,Smith,Palmer,Phibben,Bottisham Lode,Baldock,Cambridgeshire,Fulbourn,Merthyr Tydfil,Abercwmboi,Aberdare,Soham,Suffolk,Steeple Morden,Guilden Morden,Cambridge,South Cadbury,Castle Camps,The Fens,Plantagent Royal Family

Offline AFork

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
I was also born in Hitchin, in the hospital that is now replaced by the supermarket.  I was interested in seeing your post as to where to get photos. 

Offline philjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 13:27 GMT (UK) »
North Herts Maternity Hospital was on the site now occupied by Waitrose. (I think it opened as Safeway originally)
When the Hitchin site closed the Maternity unit transferred to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage - it has recently been extended/refurbished.