Author Topic: Laois Resources – Mulhall Project  (Read 6900 times)

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Laois Resources – Mulhall Project
« on: Monday 20 June 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for information about one set of my great grandparents, Patrick Mulhall and his wife Mary, from Portarlington, who arrived in New York City on July 19, 1849 aboard the ship Montezuma.  I have a lot of information about their descendants in the USA, and would like to learn more about their roots and their descendants in Laois.   In using the resources suggested in the Laois portion of Rootschat .com, I was able to confirm the birth date of their first child Simon, but I was unable to view the “Mulhall Collection” referred to by the sequence of links: Laois > Resources & Links > Libraries, Museums & History Groups >Abbeyleix Heritage House  > Contact.   I have had no reply from emails sent to that address, and would be grateful for any suggestions on how to proceed.
Hermit

Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laois Resources – Mulhall Project
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
When did you send the email?

The website says "COMING SOON The Mulhall Collection..." which might mean that it will be on display at the centre and not posted on the website.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
I sent an email on June 14th to abbeyleixlaois[at]eircom.net, and that was returned with the message "The recipient cannot be reached - Invalid recipient".
 Earlier that day I had sent a similar message to * (which is shown as a contact on the Heritage site) and received a reply stating that the site "is currently under construction"

Maybe it's best to stand by for a while and hope for a reply from the Heritage site.
Jones family (Dunany Point, Co. Louth, Ireland), Rae and Livingston(e) families (Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland), and Horan (somewhere in Ireland!)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
The 'Mulhall Papers' were presented to the Abbeyleix Heritage Museum 2 months ago by the wife of the late Paddy Mulhall, who was an undertaker and owner of Morrisseys famous pub in Abbeyleix.
The papers can be viewed in the museum, but not on-line.
The address would be;
www.abbeyleixheritagemuseum.com
--
Jack

Offline Hermit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, Jack.  It’s disappointing, of course, but comforting to know that I’m not missing something as I press on with other sources.   The next set of grandchildren who visit Ireland will be tasked to visit the museum – before their stop at Morrissey’s, of course.
I should also mention that one of the other resources mentioned on this page reveals the baptism in November 1820 of a Simon Mulhall, son of Patt.  That’s consistent with the age of Patrick and Mary’s first child -  Simon – at the time of their arrival in New York, and is the first evidence, in addition to family oral history, that my ancestors may indeed have come from Portarlington.
I’ll keep on diggin’ !   Hermit

Offline btc

• I am sorry but I am having problems with my emails at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 15:57 BST (UK) »
Its veery frustrating whebn you cant just view a record particularly for a personal; search.  I've been there!
However I happen to work in Lois and know someone........who has a conection there.  I will see if

Offline btc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
.... how did that happe?
I will see what, if anything, I can find out for you.
Brendan

Offline btc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Checked with Tom at Abbeyleix who confirms that the collection is there.
BC

Offline sodo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 November 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have stayed twice with a Bernadine Mulhall  and her husband (?John) at their B&B, Coolanowle House. The Mulhall family has an extensive knowledge of their history. You might want to contact her thru her website at www.coolanowle.com. She is a delightful person. The e-mail address & ph# is on the website too. Good luck.