Author Topic: Margaret McVicar, born Kilmarnock abt 1843  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McVicar, born Kilmarnock abt 1843
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 October 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Well Hello there.

Isn't this computer age wonderful for finding new relatives.  Was very glad to read your post.  Have not touched this branch of my tree for sometime now. While I personally am not interested in recording anything but 'the direct line for me' in the tree, I still collect information on those on the fringes so to speak as that 'fringe information' provides a lot of useful information. Also, however would we have connected and I am sure that you have some data that will be very useful to me as well. Should you have any questions fire away, I may have the answer you seek, but, can't promise everything.

My wife started our tree on Ancestry some years ago and it was a very long time before I started. The skeleton of this branch has been detailed in the previous posts under this heading. You may well be listed in The Ayrshire Roots 'Frew' family tree.

Once again nice to hear from you.

Regards
   Greg D.

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 October 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there, nice to meet you!

I would love to have the date of death for Margaret, as we don't have that.  Also, if you have anything going further back in the family, it would be nice to fill in any gaps.  I have a few names and dates, starting with John McVicar who married Jean Baird, but no dates for them.  I have reason to believe they were from Argyll.  They had a son, John (I don't know about any other children) b.25.1.1772 (d.31.4.1842) and found a reference to him having moved to Govan (now in Glasgow) before 1792.  He married Elizabeth Colqhoun in Govan on 6.7.1792 and they had six children: Elizabeth (b.28.4.1793), Alexander, Margaret, James (b.4.10.1799), Agnes Ritchie/Richie? (b.6.8.1802) and Alexander (b.22.2.1805).  The youngest Alexander (the last on that list) married Janet Walker at New Mill, Kilmarnock on 21.9.1838.  Janet was born on 18.4.1819 and died in Kilmarnock in 1873.  Her mother was called Margaret (Elizabeth?) Boyd and her father was Gavin Walker, and they married in Kilmarnock on 6.6.1808.  It looks as though William and Charlotte named their first daughter Jessie Walker after her great grandmother's (Janet) maiden name, which would not be surprising if, as has been suggested, illegitimate William was raised by his grandparents, Alexander and Janet.  I am gathering information about the rest of the family, but I'd love to find out more about the earlier part, if you have anything to add.

Kind regards.

Noelle

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 October 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
If you can send an email to me at (*) I will try and forward a copy of the relevant death certificate.  That way you get all the details, and hopefully confirm/disprove other details you may have.  The answer to your first sentence was easy. Will now have to plough through the files to see what I actually have before I can get back to you with the answers to the 'harder' stuff.

The weather here in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia is a coolish 15C because of the wind.  Sunny now but the clouds are coming over and I think that we might be getting some rain later today. What else but changeable weather can you expect in early Spring!!  Was a great day here yesterday, sunny 22C with a light breeze; excellent for sailing.

Drop me a line on the other address and I will forward the information.

Regards
Greg D.

See post below.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 October 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Noelle and Greg

Welcome to RootsChat Noelle  :)

Greg, I have taken off your personal email as these are not encouraged on the main open posts to prevent internet abuse etc.

To exchange personal emails, the best (and only  ::)) way to do so is via the Personal Message service (PMs). A quick way to access this is to just click on either of your green scrolls under your usernames on the left. This will take you straight there.

Good luck with the research.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 October 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for the advice  :) and the welcome.

Kind regards,

Noelle

Offline becky12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 November 15 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have been reading your posts on William McVicar and his mother Margaret.

My gg grandfather was Gilbert Templeton b 1836/37 Ballantrae. He would have been 24/25 in 1861. He married 31 Dec 1861 Elizabeth Young Baird in Craigie Kilmarnock, and worked in New Cumnock in 1876 as a pit labourer. The family immigrated to Queensland in 1878 per 'Rodell Bay'. Gilbert died in 1889 in Brisbane. His parents were John Templeton and Jean McCreadie.

Would like to be able to confirm if my Gilbert is William McVicar's father. Hope someone can help.

Bronwyn

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 November 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi becky12.  I'm pretty sure we have the same group here.  Margaret McVicar was the daughter of Alexander McVicar and Janet Walker, who operated Newmill in Kilmarnock.  Margaret gave birth to William on 19.2.1862 in Craigie, Kilmarnock and the father was named as Gilbert Templeton.  I see from your post that he married someone else just a couple of months before the birth.  I know that Gilbert moved to Australia, as did his illegitimate son, William, who emigrated there with his wife, Charlotte Frew.

William was actually raised by Margaret's parents at Newmill.  They had lost a son called William, who had been born in 1859 and died before the 1861 census, and it caused me a few weeks of confusion trying to work out the difference in age when William reappeared in a later census.

Margaret went on to marry someone who worked at her parents' mill in 1863 by whom she had two sons.  Following his death, she moved to South Wales to live with one of her brothers and married a cousin who was also living there, and they had two daughters - although I have found a possible third daughter for them who may have died young.

I have a fairly extensive family history for my McVicars and would be happy to share any information with you.