Author Topic: Death in Gibraltar  (Read 1178 times)

Offline DeeWhy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in Gibraltar
« on: Wednesday 22 June 11 02:14 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandfather Richard Foster is recorded in my late grandmother's notes that he died in Gibraltar however I have been unable to locate any records to confirm this fact.

Richard Foster was born in 1780 in Iden, Sussex, married to a Jane Foster 10 Mar 1803 in Winchelsea, Sussex. There were four children and the last child born was Caroline Foster on 27 Feb 1810 in Icklesham, Sussex so I suspect his death occurred some time in 1810 or later.

Their third child Thomas Foster my 2nd great grandfather was born in the July quarter 1807 in Winchelsea and following the death of his father is reported to have been educated at a Masonic school for boys in Sussex and later married and with his wife and five children migrated to Australia in 1838.

Any assistance in locating any details and circumstances of Richard's death or what was happening in Gibraltar at that time would be much appreciated.

Peter C  

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Gibraltar
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am NSW Australia based.  ;D

Napoleon was having a great deal of difficulty around this time,  his military were "invading" the Iberian Peninsula. 

The English were supporting the Spanish against Napoleon.... 

Land Forces led by the Irish chap who became known as the Duke of Wellington were victorious at the Battle of Waterloo.

(Battle of Trafalgar had given the English the control of the seas, including of course The Rock of  Gibraltar)

Your chap could have been in any of the regiments of foot serving there....   Some of those regiments were on tour in NSW in the years after that, as garrison forces over the convicts, and also as the clerical/admin staff supporting the various Governors appointed by Whitehall. 

There are military records to follow up on my thoughts re service in those regiments of foot.  Usually held at the UK National Archives (Kew) ....

Many of the regiments of foot had their own Masonic Lodge Branches, and as I understand it, some branches were established in NSW as early as Gov Bligh's "reign" and were encouraged to blossom during Gov Macquarie's "reign".   These "reigns" cover the both the Battle of Trafalgar and the Battle of Waterloo.  I have forebears who settled in NSW with long standing navy or army careers.  One line had served under Nelson.  One line had served under Wellington.  I have had a quick look, my Navy lot don't mention any Masonic connections, but the Army lot do mention that.  They were contributing to Masonic funds to provide schooling for the orphans of their army fallen.   I must mention though, that those funds were expended at private schooling in Sydney Town  NSW in the 1820's and 30's ....

Hopefully there will be UK based RChatters along soon, perhaps the time zone differences is delaying their help.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.