Author Topic: What do you remember- seems impossible now  (Read 91744 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What do you remember- seems impossible now
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
Or even just that little bit earlier, same scene, same blankets, Radio Luxembourg!
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
Ah yes! Emporer Rosko!! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I think Bronco toilet  paper was hard like Izal
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Chris_Beds

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Thursday 06 October 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
I think Bronco toilet  paper was hard like Izal

It was.   Izal went on for longer I think - Bronco stopped years ago.  Thank goodness :)
Brown - St. Erme and Grampound (Cornwall), East London, Plumstead Kent
Henwood - Devon/Cornwall, Woolwich Kent
Tilliduff/Tullideph - Aberdeenshire, East London, Plumstead Kent
Bancroft - Castle Donington Leics, Derby, Erith Kent
Reed - Greenhithe, Erith Kent

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Thursday 06 October 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Memories from my youth (mainly in London) .....

The 'Rag and Bone' man with his horse and cart.  If you gave him enough old rags, he would give you 3d (or sometimes a goldfish).  If the horse left droppings in the road, the men in the neighbourhood would race each other to get out there with a sack and a shovel, to make fertiliser for the garden.

Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres, medium wave.  You could only receive this after dark, and in those days it was the only way to hear the latest records (before the pirate ships came along).  The 'DJs' in those days included Pete Murray, Keith Fordice, Alan Freeman, David Jacobs, Jimmy Saville, Dave Cash, Noel Edmonds and Tommy Vance.  The problem with Radio Luxembourg was that the signal used to fade in and out, so you would only hear half the record.  Some shows which later appeared on ITV first started on Radio Luxembourg - like 'Take Your Pick' with Michael Miles, and 'Double Your Money' with Hughie Green.

The novelty of riding in a car.  My dad never owned a car, so I rarely got to ride in one.  Sometimes the man who my mother worked part-time for used to give us a lift home, but this wasn't very often. 

Ice cream for Sunday dessert - and the arguments over who was going to the shop to get it (we had no fridge).  The ice cream came in a cardboard carton, which the shopkeeper would thickly wrap in old newspapers, so it would survive the 5 minute journey home.   

Our first TV in 1952, which exploded !  My dad wanted to watch the Cup Final on the TV, but when he got to the shop, they had sold out of 'tested sets'.   In those days, TVs were so unreliable that the shops used to 'bench test' TVs for 24 hours before selling them.  Because of the demand due to the football, they had run out of these and my dad (whom I take after for lack of patience) was so keen to have one that he agreed to take an untested TV.  He spent the Saturday morning fiddling with it, and then my dad, my sister and I watched the football on the TV, while my mother went out shopping.  At about 4:30PM my mother returned and said "Is that TV still on ? You've had it on for three hours now, you should switch it off and give it a rest !".  My father duly obliged - he got up from his chair (no remotes in those days), and had just turned around to go back to his chair when there was a loud bang, and the room was showered with shards of glass.   My dad wasn't hurt because he had his back to the TV, and I was about 8 feet away and wasn't hurt, but my sister (who was sitting quite close, but off to one side) got several cuts in her legs, and she still bears the scars to this day.  I was so scared that I wouldn't go back into the room while the TV was still in there.  I later went on to become a TV engineer !  ::)

Coronation Day.  My dad was involved with the local community, and when the coronation was announced, no-one wanted to organise it, so my dad volunteered, but only if the party was held indoors.  Lots of people didn't like the idea of an indoor celebration in June, but my dad was adamant, and since no-one else wanted to organise it, he got his way.   Well, the 3rd June 1953 was one of the coldest and wettest June days in decades, and many people had their street parties ruined because of the weather.  My dad was the hero of the hour  :)

Computers - my first brush with a real computer was in 1974, when my wife and I moved to Harlow, Essex, and I got a job in an electronics factory setting up and testing 'VDUs' which we would now call computer screens.  To test the screens, we needed a computer, and we had a small one which had to be started every morning by running punched paper tapes through a reader, and the first tape in the sequence was called a 'bootstrap', from where we get the term 'booting up' a PC.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Thursday 06 October 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
and Bootstrap came from the phrase pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, because the first instruction executed was "read the program into memory" .  In 1965 we used to have to set this up on the console I think was 75 012500 00 770000 - block read forward (75) from paper tape reader (77) into memory location 012500, then you got it going by setting up on the console 71 012500 00 000000 - transfer control to memory location 012500.  It was also important to set the Block Read Bypass button so that the hardware wouldn't try to turn the program punched into the paper tape into data.  Now why is it so difficult to remember what day it is?
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Friday 07 October 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
I am clearly living in the past... I've just had to buy a new steam iron.  After I'd frightened myself witless just looking at the prices, I found out that you don't have to use distilled water in them any more.   New steam iron is also a lot smaller and lighter than the old one. I commented on both these facts - as you do.

Man in shop 'How old is your steam iron?'

Cati thinks. and realises it was a wedding present the first time round - 30 years ago. And it was still working fine until last week.

Next week, in a fit of extravagance, I may decide to treat myself to a set of new bun tins.  The old ones have seen better days. After all, they were a wedding present to my parents: that'll be 61 years, then...
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Friday 07 October 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
I'm convinced that some modern domestic appliances are fitted with a timer.  We had a coffee percolator made by a company which was 'simply years ahead' which failed 1 day after the warranty expired  ::)

Your new steam iron probably doesn't use distilled water because it will never last long enough to fur up  ;)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Friday 07 October 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
I'm convinced that some modern domestic appliances are fitted with a timer.  We had a coffee percolator made by a company which was 'simply years ahead' which failed 1 day after the warranty expired  ::)

Your new steam iron probably doesn't use distilled water because it will never last long enough to fur up  ;)

As it was under a tenner from a supermarket, I'll be surprised if it lasts that long!
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate