Author Topic: *COMPLETED*Skelly Alnwick  (Read 3942 times)

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED*Skelly Alnwick
« on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

*COMPLETED*Can anyone help with the marriage and maiden name of my 3rd great grandmother Isabella Skelly married to Luke Skelly B 1797. I have Isabella born Berwick circa 1797. She is in baptism records of her children in the parish register of St Michael's eg. Margaret 1821- I cannot find a marriage. I think her death was in 1855.

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Skelly Alnwick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Can you tell us where you have looked already and the baptismal date of the oldest child?  I think you'd need to narrow the options a bit.

Christine

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 11 03:50 BST (UK) »
I could not find the marriage in my Northumberland marriages up to 1837 or the irregular border marriages from the newspapers. 

I did find some info on Luke Skelly.

I found 2 Luke Skelly burials in Alnwick St. Michael's:

Luke Skelly, age 77, buried 5 Apr 1872, of Cannongate
Luke Skelly, age 91, buried 30 Nov 1852, of Washburn

Most likely some relation:  burial Thomas Reveley Davison Skelly, infant,  buried 30 Nov 1854, of Cannongate.

No Isabella Skelly burial in my transcript for St. Michael's.

Marriage of Luke Skelly, bach and Eleanor Reavely, Sp, both of this parish by banns, wit Thomas Walker and John Cameron, 7 June 1796

From the baptisms of Luke junior's brother George (2nd son) in 1798 said that Luke sr and Eleanor were both native's "of this parish", Luke was a Husbandman when son Luke born, shoemaker by 1801, when the 3rd son, John was baptised Luke was a shoemaker.  Then in 1807 when the first daur Catherine was born he was a Husbandman again.  In 1810 for daur Mary--back to shoemaker.

There were several other Skelly males marrying in the early 1800's

Sorry I couldn't help with the marriage.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the replies

There are so many Luke Skellys in my tree (14 to date) it gets confusing two even have same birth years!
Luke married to Eleanor Reavely is the father of Luke husband of the Isabella I am looking for.

I have looked in Bishops transcripts for St Michael's Alnwick and on free bmd records online as well as ancestry. I also checked irregular marriages. Isabella may have been from Berwick therefore may have married there- dont have access to records from Berwick upon Tweed- I have also just realised that there was another anglican church in Alnwick st that time- St Paul's. so may have been married there.

Eldest childs baptism was 1821- Margaret Skelly

I have the burials of the Lukes you mentioned they are my 3rd and 4th great grand fathers- Isabella's husband died 1872.

Thanks again I will keep on looking

Barbara

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Just wondering, Janis, if your 'mountains' of transcripts include Berwick.  If Berwick was the bride's parish there's a good chance of the marriage taking place there but if you've already checked them....  If not I can have a look on Wednesday at the archives.

Christine

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 11 03:59 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find anything in Berwick.  I checked some of the Presbyterian marriages that were done across the border and recorded in those church (Northumberland) records.  Checked Tweedmouth and Spittal.

Was this family mostly C of E?  What was Luke jr's occupation?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi 2zpool

The family were C of E  and nearly all  are St Michael's at Alnwick- Luke juniors occupation has been recorded as labourer and stonemason.

I've just found Mary's middle name is Wilson- perhaps that was the maiden name of Isabella- not had time to look at this yet

Barbara