Author Topic: Rotherham  (Read 1467 times)

Offline USATOM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rotherham
« on: Sunday 26 June 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
I may have a relative that died at 1 Shaftsbury Square, Rotherham on 28 May 1872.  The name is Eliza Wheatley she was 23 years old at time of death.  The death notice says her husband was John Wheatley however she could have been married to Isaac Wheatley on 4 Sept 1871.  I have reason to believe her maiden name was Whedlock.  Thanks for your help. 

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rotherham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi USA Tom

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Isaac WHEATLEY  and Eliza WHEDLOCK married 4 Sep1871 in Brighton, Sussex (extracted record on the IGI and indexed on FreeBMD).  That's quite a step away from Rotherham in West Yorkshire. But I'm guessing you do have all that follows:

Further Parish records records state on Marriage:
Eliza WHEDLOCK was 22, dau of Thomas WHEDLOCK
Isaac WHEATLEY was 22, son of John WHEATLEY

From Census 1851/1861 - it looks as if Isaac was born Hartfield, Sussex & is with his parents there. In Census 1871 he is in Lodgings in Glamorgan, Wales (a Railway Labourer, enumerated as WEAKLEY), listed as married (they weren't quite yet)with his wife Eliza WEAKLEY 22, b Hartfield, Sussex also lodging in same house.   In Dec Qtr 1881 Brighton, he remarried to Rosie COATES whom he is with in Sussex in Census 1881/1891/1901.  His age wavers btw 1849 & 1851 years of birth.

So did he, in his line of work, end up in Rotherham circa 1872 with his new wife where she died (perhaps in childbirth) and somehow  her death notice states the wrong name for her widower (which name happens to be Isaac's  father's name)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rotherham
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Is your reason for believing her maiden name was Whedlock because of the marriage to Isaac?  Have you tried finding an Eliza marriage to a John Wheatley?
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex