Author Topic: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill  (Read 12361 times)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill
« on: Friday 06 August 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
With all the help I have received here previously, the details on the family tree are filling in quite nicely, so I am very appreciative .

This time I am looking for information on my g.g.g.grandfather, Peter Monks.  b. 1826  d. 1884 and buried in Glasnevin.

His first wife was Anne - surname unknown, but she is my ancestress.  Her son Nicholas was born in 1850, so presumably they  married about a year or two  before that

His second wife was also Anne - Hyland.

Again, I have no date of birth for Anne Hyland.  However, the story in the family is that her father was manager of the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin.  She died in either 1889 or 1890 and was buried in Peter's grave (with his first wife!).

The Glasnevin record on the net shows a burial in respect of an Anne Monks in 1889 and another in 1890.  I have no idea which one refers to my family.   However, I can find no record for the burial of Peter in 1884.  Perhaps they have not digitised back that far yet.

===============

Peter's & Anne's son, Nicholas, born in 1850, married Mary Lister (or Lester)  b.1851  d. 1915  who was the daughter of a Church of Ireland father, but she was brought up as a Roman Catholic.  The presupposes her mother was Catholic.  Mary's first cousins were the Cahills of Wellington Quay.  In my late father's notes there is a strange comment that they were "opticians to the Popes".  For a while I had visions of spectacles travelling back and forth to Rome, as though there were no eye doctors there.  Then it dawned on me that this might in fact refer to a family called Pope. 

I googled Cahills Opticians and sure enough they were on Wellington Quay - may still be???

Anyway, Mary Lister as the sole wife of my g.g.grandfather Nicholas Monks, is my ancestress, so I would also like to find out anything I can about her and her family.

Thanks for all help.

David Monks

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Monks/?/Hyland/Lister/Cahill
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
the last time I looked at the Glasnevin site, they had only digitised back to 1890.
I'm waiting for 1880s, myself, before I trot off to buy certain death certs!

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin.  I was hoping that they might have done the 1880s before I come to Ireland.  Seems unlikely.   :'(

Offline Greggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
Glasnevin's record are now goiung back top 1870

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 August 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Greggie. 

I was able to get my g/g/g/grandfather's burial details.  5 in the grave, and some are new names!  More investigation to be done.  Also there is the big question as to where they fit on the tree.

David

Offline fiveinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have a Catherine Monks who was born in 1830 I believe in Dublin, although I am not 100% sure on this. She married Joseph Cummings born 1833 Ireland and their first son Thomas Born: 1851 and Eliza Born: 1849 were both born in Dublin Ireland, they came to England arond 1852 to whitechapel Middlesex, they have a son Peter Monks who was born 1864 Whitechapel middlesex could there be some connection between our trees I wonder? Catherine's father was Peter Monks from Ireland.

To be honest I am not having any luck with Irish records and havn't a clue where to begin to look.. so hope there is some connection here.

Thanks Lynda

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have a Catherine Monks who was born in 1830 I believe in Dublin, although I am not 100% sure on this. She married Joseph Cummings born 1833 Ireland and their first son Thomas Born: 1851 and Eliza Born: 1849 were both born in Dublin Ireland, they came to England arond 1852 to whitechapel Middlesex, they have a son Peter Monks who was born 1864 Whitechapel middlesex
Catherine's father was Peter Monks from Ireland.

Do you have any idea where in Dublin e.g City, county or suburbs ?

You will need to check parish records for the baptisms and marriage and to do this you need to know the family religion and where they lived - ideally the parish.

Monk was a reasonably common surname at that time - especially in the City and parts of the North county.

What do the later census returns show for Thomas or Eliza's place of birth ?
Later census returns can give a more detailed place of birth which might help start a search for their baptisms.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 October 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
The Cahill "opticians to the Popes" rang a bell with me as I have Cahill ancestry but not this family. An advert in an old book I have published 1929 to commemorate 100 years of Catholic Emancipation entitled 'Catholic Emancipation Centenary Record' has

PARTICK CAHILL, Optician to His Holiness Pope Pius X1. (By special appointment).

13 and 15 Wellington Quay, Dublin

Phone 2015 Miss C. K. Cahill, Proprietress.

The advert includes the elaborate Papal Crest.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

With all the help I have received here previously, the details on the family tree are filling in quite nicely, so I am very appreciative .

This time I am looking for information on my g.g.g.grandfather, Peter Monks.  b. 1826  d. 1884 and buried in Glasnevin.

His first wife was Anne - surname unknown, but she is my ancestress.  Her son Nicholas was born in 1850, so presumably they  married about a year or two  before that

His second wife was also Anne - Hyland.

Again, I have no date of birth for Anne Hyland.  However, the story in the family is that her father was manager of the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin.  She died in either 1889 or 1890 and was buried in Peter's grave (with his first wife!).

The Glasnevin record on the net shows a burial in respect of an Anne Monks in 1889 and another in 1890.  I have no idea which one refers to my family.   However, I can find no record for the burial of Peter in 1884.  Perhaps they have not digitised back that far yet.

===============

Peter's & Anne's son, Nicholas, born in 1850, married Mary Lister (or Lester)  b.1851  d. 1915  who was the daughter of a Church of Ireland father, but she was brought up as a Roman Catholic.  The presupposes her mother was Catholic.  Mary's first cousins were the Cahills of Wellington Quay.  In my late father's notes there is a strange comment that they were "opticians to the Popes".  For a while I had visions of spectacles travelling back and forth to Rome, as though there were no eye doctors there.  Then it dawned on me that this might in fact refer to a family called Pope. 

I googled Cahills Opticians and sure enough they were on Wellington Quay - may still be???

Anyway, Mary Lister as the sole wife of my g.g.grandfather Nicholas Monks, is my ancestress, so I would also like to find out anything I can about her and her family.

Thanks for all help.

David Monks

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Mr J.T. Arthur.

All I can say is Good Heavens!  I am dumbstruck!

Certainly I owe my late father an apology for ever having doubted his word.  OTOH, it is the most unlikely thing.  Who would have imagined such a thing?  I may yet write to the Vatican and ask them if they can clarify some more.

In the meanwhile, might I ask if you would kindly scan the page of the book, please and post on this thread?.  It would be a wonderful item to include in the gathering data.  I would be most grateful, and I would be delighted to vindicate my father to the wider family.

BTW, can anyone say if Cahills are still in business?  I do seem to remember an opticians premises just to the west of Merchants Arch/Halfpenny bridge, but that would have been when I was a kid.  I used to travel to school across the city and the 51 bus had its terminus at Aston Quay.

Once again, JTA, many thanks for that information, and if possible I would look forward to a posting of the advert.

David.