Author Topic: Moutain Lodge Demesne - Hegan  (Read 7708 times)

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moutain Lodge Demesne - Hegan
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 July 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Not that I can see, but the Griffiths Valuation in 1858 has him in Mountain Lodge. The military record does say that Moses Wife was Mary, and James brother was Hugh.

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 July 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks to your help, I now am confident that Moses Hegan was James father, and James brother was Hugh. Moses father was Mathew. I haven't found anything about him yet, but I am confident enough that they came from Mountain Lodge to have been mapping the Presbyterian churches surrounding Mountain Lodge, with plans to contact them. This will be my first attempt to do so. Can you tell me about the correct protocol? I have 5 churches, Ballybay 1, Ballybay 2, Cahans, Derry Valley, Lough mourne (near Brackly), Can I just post a letter to :

Presbyterian Church
Loughmourne
Monoghan
Ireland?

for instance? I know nothing about the correct format. Do the local churches frequently get requests to search their records? Do they have the resources to do so? Is ther a fee to do it? I'm sure to an experienced searcher these are foolish questions but this is new to me, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 July 11 00:42 BST (UK) »
Some ministers are very good about passing on queries to someone in the congregation/area who can help and others don't bother. Bear in mind they may have no interest in family history, not been in the area for very long or get so many requests they have a policy of not answering any of them. Also, some are in charge of 2 or more congregations which may not be that close to each other or where they live so they have little spare time.
It's not always the minister who deals with records/queries- could be Clerk of Session or other member of Committee.
If you do write a letter-
1) explain exactly what details you are looking for. "I'm searching for the baptism of my grandmother Mary Smith born around 1889" is better than "Can you tell me about my grandmother's family, her name was Mary Smith and she moved to England.)
2) ask if there's anyone in the congregation who might be able to help/look up the records if they are not able to do so. Some will pass your details to someone with the same name or who is a relation so doesn't hurt to suggest they might do so.
3) include an email address
4) ask if there's a charge- if there is they will tell you (a small donation is always welcome but doesn't guarantee informations)

Contact details for 2nd Ballybay- http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/ballybay2.html
1st Ballybay, Derryvalley and Cahans are a joint charge so one person will be in charge of the records (also connected are Cootehill and Drumkeen).
Minister of Loughmore also has Crieve and Corlea.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 July 11 02:15 BST (UK) »
A few churches are covered by Rev John Rushton, The Manse, Cootehill, Co. Cavan, Ireland....

Ballybay 1st by Rev. Wm Buchanan, The Manse, Clones Rd, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, Ireland
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.