Author Topic: Moutain Lodge Demesne - Hegan  (Read 7701 times)

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moutain Lodge Demesne - Hegan
« on: Wednesday 29 June 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my father-in-laws birth place. Fergus was born in Mountain Lodge Demesne in 1912. The only tool so far that can find it is Google - Map. It puts me in the middle of a field. I don't think its right. I want to find Mountain
Lodge for a couple of reasons. I'd like to see where Fergus Hegan was born, and I'd like to locate the Presbyterian parish that his family was associated with so I can continue my investigation into the families roots. So..... Can any one point to a location for Mountain Lodge? Or...Is there one place? In 1912 there were 13 families in 10 homes. I keep thinking that the 10 homes are close to each other. Might the Demesne be spread out over the farm land with single homes scattered here and there? Do you know which church or churches would be logical for me to ask questions?
Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Moutain Lodge Demesne - Hegan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Mountain Lodge Demesne is a townland of 484 acres, in the civil parish of Aghnamullen, and registration district of Cootehill

You can view a historic map showing the townland on the OSI website see - Mountain Lodge Demesne  (Select the historic 6" option for the best view - it's dated 1820s to 1840s)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Mountain Lodge Demesne is the name of a townland in Aghanamullen civil parish- which is basically a collection of houses and farms.  Google Maps (Earth View) shows it as still a rural area.

In 1911 (Cormeen D.E.D.) there are 13 houses listed-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Cormeen/Mountain_Lodge_Demesne

Griffith's Valuation (1858) shows a Moses Hegan as tenant of George Bennie (house, office (farm building), land on 8 acres 3 rods 30 perches). You can view the details here and also see the location on a map. From this you should be able to find the location on the present map. However, it may be that no trace remains of the house and yard.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
1901 census shows no Hegans in the townland-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Cormeen/Mountain_Lodger_Demesne

Here are wife Martha and two boys in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Cormeen/Cormeen/1633075

Have you a copy of Fergus' birth certificate? I can't see his birth in the civil registration index.

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I guess Google maps knew what they were pointing at. Go figure. Do you have any idea how to locate the Presbyterian parishes near-by?
Moses was in Mountain Lodge 1858, and them disappeared. I want him to be the grandfather of James, because James was raising a family in Mountain Lodge in 1911. I just want to connect the dots. Robert and William Hegan were renting in Tattybrack and Brackly in 1861, and were listed as land owners in 1876. So, is it Uncle Robert, or Uncle William, or father? I think there are only these three choices .

Gentlemen, I am new to this, and am enjoying learning about Ireland. I read the posts, learning about Irish history. Reading the journals that are posted here is amazing. Thanks to all.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
The Irish civil registration index is online (free) and lists at least 2 possibilities for Moses Hegan's death-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
- Moses Hagan, age 76, Jan./Mar.1896 Cootehill registration district volume 3 page 97
- Moses Hogan, age 76, Jan./Mar.1898, Cootehill registration district volume 3 page 97

Mountain Lodge Demesne is in Cootehill Poor Law Union which would be the same name for the registration district.

It's doubtful the family owned property in 1876- most people were tenants and Moses Hegan didn't have a large holding in 1858.

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
You found Alexander! We knew he existed, but have had no reference to him. We believe he died young. Thank you very Much!. Yes I have a birth certificate for Fergus. Hopefully I've attached it to this note. In 1911, the census caught James and Martha, and 4 children. Not Alexander, nor Fergus, who was born the next year. In 1911 James is listed as a" Army Pensr Sergt 2nd Royl Furs" and farmer. Maybe that is why Martha Arthur and alexander were living in Cormeen with her parents. James was away in the army in 1901?!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
The problem in this case is the spelling of the surname- Hegan, Hagan, etc.

To answer your earlier query- the nearest Presbyterian Church is probably Coothill.

Still searching for more details.

What was Martha Jane's maiden name?

Offline DonHerring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 June 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
Martha's maiden name was Webster. I think we found her family in Cormeen in the 1901 census. Did Fergus's birth certificate show up? I can't see it.