Author Topic: Food within the British Army  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Food within the British Army
« on: Saturday 30 April 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got a website or know what food the soldiers had whilst in the Army in the mid 1800's (1850-1870)?
I have done many searches but have come up with nothing. I have also contacted the museum of the regiment but they don't even know what soldiers diets consisted of

Thanks
Shanko
 ;D

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Food within the British Army
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 05 11:21 BST (UK) »

Hi Shanko - I think I read somewhere that there was no organised feeding of the men, they pretty much fended for themselves if they wanted decent food..I can't for the life of me remember where I read that ???
However I did find this...
Humanistic reforms of the British Army and Royal Navy.
Up until the late 1800’s, it was still commonplace to house soldiers in public houses and taverns rather than purpose-built barracks. When barracks were built, no washing facilities were provided. Toilets were in the form of a bucket at the end of each room. This bucket would be emptied out at the start of the morning and used to carry rations back to the barrack rooms.

Food was poor. Meat was often of poor quality, if not rotten. Vegetables were rarely provided, as was fruit. Bread, cheese and stale water were the most common items on daily menus.

From the late 1850’s army reforms grew apace. The Crimean war and Indian mutinies had forced the Army to rethink some of its policies regarding its troops. Sickness and disease had caused the army to alter its medical services completely.

The quality of leadership in the British Army came under increased scrutiny. Commission by purchase ended in 1871 and more men were commissioned from the ranks. Proper messes were established to allow for better food to be provided to soldiers and officers alike.

Naval reforms started after the mutinies of the Napoleonic wars. Such mutinies developed due to poor pay (which had not changed since Cromwellian times), appalling food (which led to long-term bouts of scurvy and beriberi on many occasions) and overly severe discipline. Most demands were met due to the very restrained behaviour of the mutineers and the general legitimacy of their demands.

- and this makes interesting reading www.crimeantexts.org.uk
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 05 11:23 BST (UK) »
Shanko,

I have never used or seen this book, but know of it as a comparison to what was going on with the logistics in the Roman Army during the invasion and conquest of Britain in AD43.

The Soldiers Pocket Book for Field Service
by Colonel Garnet Wolseley
Published by The War Office 1869.

I also know of a quote in book by Schauman about his work in the Commissariat in 1802, when he states " It was then that he had to mount a fresh horse, scour the country in order to discover some concealed hoard of corn, accompany foraging parties, proceed to organise the baking of bread and the slaughter of cattle." At that time the army lived off the land and continued to do so for some decades when on active service. Many changes were introduced after the failure of supply in the Crimean war.

Hope this is of some use

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
Suey and Rod

Thanks to both of you for supplying that information, both of your posts are very interesting and an eye opener

thanks again

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 08:29 BST (UK) »
Unable to help you with the 1850's but I do have a week's menu for a RE Soldiers Mess for 1910
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street