Author Topic: Fullerton women in Benholm  (Read 4581 times)

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fullerton women in Benholm
« on: Saturday 02 July 11 02:52 BST (UK) »
George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie, with their large family, relocated in 1759 from Dun Parish in Angus to become tenant at Knox of Benholm.  I've tracked most of the family for a few more generations but have been unable to find solid references to three daughters (all born in Dun Parish.)

Magdalen (b.1749,) Anne (b. 1752,) Elizabeth (b.1754) seem to drop off the face of the earth - they don't show up around Benholm even though virtually all the other children do.  A memorial erected about 1801 by a brother states that they were all alive at that time (along with another sister, Margaret - her death seems to be in 1816, recorded as a mortcloth rental in Benholm.)   

I've found nothing that seems likely (i.e., within an appropriate time frame and location) for Ann Fullerton. 

There is a Magdalen Fullerton marrying a John Puller in 1802 in Dunnichen, Angus, but a marriage at age 52 to someone that distant seems unlikely.

There is an Elizabeth Fullerton in the 1841 census, living in Johnshaven at age 85 - about the right age.  Also two marriages of an Elizabeth Foulerton - one, 1776, to David Forsyth in Lawrencekirk and the other,1882, to William Strachan in Marykirk.  All are possible but I've found nothing more regarding either of those marriages.

Can anyone offer some information, guidance, suggestions, advice, or even a bit of ironic laughter, to help my efforts to locate these missing women? 

Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fullerton women in Benholm
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked out this marriage.

Groom's Name Thomas Riddler
Bride's Name Anne Fullarton
Marriage Date 28 Jul 1769
Marriage Place Banchory-Ternan,Kincardine,Scotland

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sharon.  I had either missed that marriage or, perhaps, thought it unlikely to be the same person because of the distance from Benholm - it appears to be about 35 miles.  Nevertheless, the timing seems appropriate and I've found little else that might be my Anne Fullerton.  A quick look on familysearch.org doesn't provide me much more to go on, unfortunately - a few other Riddler events in the general area but none that is clearly connected to this couple.

But I'm unable to find any location named "Banchory-Ternan" - do you know where that might be?  Presumably near Banchory but where?

Thank you again!

- Wally -
Those Fullertons and related names associated with the family of George Fullerton and Margaret Pirie who resided at Mains of Dun about 1740 and Knox of Benholm after 1760, and their descendents scattered from Lunan to Peterhead, across Canada and the United States, and assuredly elsewhere.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Check out this thread for Banchory Ternan

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KCD/BanchoryTernan/index.html

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  I looked it up after writing that line and found that its the old name for Banchory - that the Ternan was dropped 40 years ago.   Wikipedia has a nice little piece on it.

- wally -

Offline wallyf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 July 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked out this marriage.

Groom's Name Thomas Riddler
Bride's Name Anne Fullarton
Marriage Date 28 Jul 1769
Marriage Place Banchory-Ternan,Kincardine,Scotland

Sharon

Hi again, Sharon,

FYI only - I searched Ancestry.com for this couple and found several family trees showing them.  None of them are well-sourced and that always casts some doubt on the accuracy.  Nevertheless, each of them states that Thomas Ridler of Banchory-Ternan (b.1723) m. Anne Fullerton 28 Jul 1769.  All of them also say that Anne was born 15 Aug 1744 in Banchory-Ternan (that would disqualify her as my Anne.)  Curiously though, the IGI shows Anne Fullerton born 15 Aug 1744 in Fetteresso, not Banchory.    There seems to be enough sloppiness in those family trees that I can't draw any firm conclusions so I guess I'll just have to keep my mind open and keep looking.

Thanks!

- Wally -