Author Topic: Albert Edward NEWMAN - COMPLETE  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Albert Edward NEWMAN - COMPLETE
« on: Saturday 02 July 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I am trying to locate Albert Edward NEWMAN b. abt 1890 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England (Portsea Island RD). He is on the 1911 England Census as living in Portsmouth, single and an Electrician Fitter. Legend in the family is that Albert went to Canada about 1914 and may have served in the Canadian Army in the 1st world war.
Can anyone give me a few pointers.
Robert...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward NEWMAN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Greetings Robert,

You will likely want to look at the info located on our national archives site: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search-recherche/anc.php?Language=eng. It has records for Canadian WW1 soldiers as well as passenger lists from the UK. Unfortunately, the passenger lists are not indexed by person, so you will need to go through them by ship for the dates you think Albert made his voyage. You may also want to look at the free part of Find My Past site to see what ship he used to travel to Canada before going through the National Archives site for the passenger lists.

While searching for Albert keep in mind that he may have travelled first through the USA to arrive at his Canadian destination or come to Canada for an American destination (possibly after WW1?). I'm not sure how much the Americans participated in WW1?

Hope this helps,

JDC

Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,

Albert Edward Newman, Born 14 September 1886 Dover. England. residing Swift Current. Saskatchewan is listed in Canadian soldiers of WW1. Regiment No:- 253003.  Wife:- Mrs Grace Newman.
Unfortunately the image won't come up for me at the moment but I will check later to see if there is further information on it.

There is also a Canada Ocean Arrivals Form 30 A for Albert Newman. Born about 1888 Dover. England. Travelling London to Quebec 10 August 1921 on the Empress of France accompanied by Mrs Grace Newman. Canadian Citizen. Religion:- C of E. Present occupation:- actor. Object ingoing to Canada - returning to duty. Intended to live permanently in Canada. Had lived in Canada since July 1914.  Previuos port of entry was Halifax in July 1919. Address looks like:- 65 Helena Avenue. Toronto. Ontario.

Hmmm. perhaps not the right guy  ???

Sandra.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
Have you got the parents names for Albert ?  Or the name of any siblings ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Just to try & explain that there are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  The last available Canadian Census was 1911 apart from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta which was 1916. Really need to find Albert on a passenger list or some military record.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:42 BST (UK) »

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for all the lookups it is great. Unfortunately I don't thin the Dover one is mine. In the South of England Newman is common as was Albert Edward around that time.
There is another family member who may have some more knowledge on this but can't see him until Monday.
Robert.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 11 15:57 BST (UK) »
Have you got the parents names for Albert ?

Sandra

Stephen Newman and Bessie Dracass
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Have you got the parents names for Albert ?  Or the name of any siblings ?

Sandra

Sorry Sandra I am not getting all your messages arriving together. there is still 2 I cannot read but I am sure I can get them.
There is Beatrice Ethel b. 1885 she is my connectection she got pregnamt to Achibold Thomas Wright and they walked all the way from Portsmouth to Leicestershire. Eldest son maned after Ethels bother Albert Edward. Not sue how much contact was make with the family.

Frances Newman b. 1895, Nellie Newman b. 1897 George Newman d. 1900,
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics