Author Topic: George Smith - a sailor?  (Read 890 times)

Offline zannette

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Guy family, Liverpool 1905
    • View Profile
George Smith - a sailor?
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with this please? My ancestor, George Smith b.1810 at Ormiston Hall, was described on his daughter's marriage certificate as a sailor. His daughter was born and married in Belfast, so I am guessing that at some stage George Smith might have worked on the regular ferry to and from Scotland (Glasgow? Edinburgh?) to Belfast, as there was much trade between the two countries, linen etc.

He probably met his wife in Belfast. Cannot find any marriage record in Scotland or Belfast that seems probable, or on Scotlands People. Cannot find his death in either place either. His father's name was James and his mother's was Elizabeth.

Can only think of somehow tracking through his employment. Were there any records of crew kept (there's lots of passenger lists for immigrants I know). He would have been working from his teens, perhaps 1830's onwards.
Guy - Liverpool, Prescot
Armour - Farnworth/Liverpool
Bowskill/Bouskill - Settle/Liverpool
Gidman - Astbury/Liverpool
O'Neill - Belfast, Antrim/Liverpool
Shaw - Belfast
Smith - Lanarkshire/Belfast

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: George Smith - a sailor?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Zanette,do you know what his wife's maiden name was?
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline zannette

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Guy family, Liverpool 1905
    • View Profile
Re: George Smith - a sailor?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't even know what his wife's name was. The problem is that it is such a common name. I have found possibles in Scotland, and I'm guessing that it could have been Isabelle somebody, because this name was subsequently passed down to his daughter, grandaughter, G.grandaughter. The whole family moved away from Ormiston Hall when his father James became head gardener to the Earl of Hopetoun.
Guy - Liverpool, Prescot
Armour - Farnworth/Liverpool
Bowskill/Bouskill - Settle/Liverpool
Gidman - Astbury/Liverpool
O'Neill - Belfast, Antrim/Liverpool
Shaw - Belfast
Smith - Lanarkshire/Belfast