Author Topic: Protocols for the 1841 census  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Scottsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Protocols for the 1841 census
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please if there is any significance to the order in which individuals are entered on the enumerator's return? I'd always assumed that the head of household was listed first but have just come across an entry where a 7 year old boy, bearing a name different from the others in the household, was listed first.

And, while we are on the topic, is it correct to assume that a double stroke before the name indicates a new household?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Protocols for the 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 11 17:33 BST (UK) »
I'd always assumed that the head of household was listed first

The instructions to the enumerator were these:

Insert, without distinction or omission, every living person who abode or slept in each house. Leave no blank spaces between the names, but enter each immediately after the one preceding it, so that each page may contain 25. Set down one after the other those who have the same surname, beginning with the heads of the family, and put no others between them. As long as the surname is the same do not repeat it, but write “do.” Where there are more Christian names than one, as “John William,” or “Maria Louisa,” write down only the first.

And, while we are on the topic, is it correct to assume that a double stroke before the name indicates a new household?

At the end of the names of each family draw a line thus / as in the Example. At the end of the names of the
inmates in each house draw a double line thus //

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/census/1841directions.htm
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scottsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JenB.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
You can see the original of the instructions as printed in the "Enumeration abstract, 1841", 1843,  at http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e2l/ Pages 2 & 3

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
Although it was usual for the Head (usually a man) to be listed first, then his wife, then their children in birth order and then any visitors, boarders, servants etc, I've come across several where the order isn't right.

In one case the wife had been missed off and added at the end with a scribble showing that she should have been placed after the head and before the first child.

I've also found children placed above their parents and several cases where all the male children were listed before the daughters.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Because no relationship to the head is given in 1841,don't assume that they are the ideal family of mum dad and the kids  ;D

I did that and it turned out that mum had died some years before and two of dad's sisters had moved in.

So just be aware of that !

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk