Author Topic: *Complete*William CANDY buried in Bulimba, QLd in 1944  (Read 6771 times)

Offline MaryHarlow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Complete*William CANDY buried in Bulimba, QLd in 1944
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 September 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Philip, I have just found this RootsChat site and discovered a mystery solved.  I am a descendant of Kate and Philip Donovan.  Our family were told a number of stories about William Kandy.  I notice you have his name spelt with a C not K.    William was adopted by Philip and Kate.  This is the entry in our family history book:

"Philip Guerin Donovan (Mary’s father), a high-church protestant, masonic lodge member, and factor on the estate of Lord Ross, was born in Ireland .  Together with his wife Kate (nee Larke) and children, Philip immigrated to Australia and settled in Rosalie, becoming one of the earliest real estate agents.  Unfortunately, their home at Rosalie was washed away in the 1893 flood, and Philip lost most of his savings and land deals when the banks failed mid-1893.

There were eight members of the Donovan family:

1. Fanny Donovan, born in Ireland and married to Mr. Brain around 1915.
2. Mary Donovan, born in Parsonstown, Kings County, Ireland and married to Reginald Rupert Blunt in 1909.
3. Jennie Donovan, born in Brisbane and married to Michael Michell (date unknown).
4. Nita-Juanita Donovan (known as Anita), born in Brisbane and married William Kandy. Anita had a son called "Henry" and got married to William some years later.

5. William Kandy, born to James Kandy and his wife Ann (aka Maggie) Heaton 1 April 1860 – Warrnambool,Vic.   In 1874, James Kandy died in an accident and his children were sent off to various places to live.  It is believed William was fostered or adopted as a child to Philip and Kate Donovan.  He resided in 45 Pine Street, Bulimba.   A son Henry Beaumont was born to William's wife Anita (nee Donovan) in Charleville in 1921. William died 17 Nov 1944, aged 84 years.  He is buried at the Bulimba Cemetary Section 14 Grave 69. His mother Maggie lived at 45 Pine Street and died 19/1/1953. She is buried at Mt Thompson B41698.

6. Nancy Donovan, born in Brisbane (date unknown) and married to Llewellen Isles (date unknown), resided in Hamilton.
7. Henry James Donovan, born in Brisbane (date unknown) and became a station bookkeeper.
8. Robert Donovan, born Brisbane (date unknown) and became the Advertising manager of the Brisbane Telegraph.

Having partially recovered financially from the flood and bank crashes of 1893, the Donovan family built and moved to a house on a hillock in Lytton Road, Bulimba.  It had room for horses, cows and poultry, and was located on a flood-free site.  Philip continued in real estate and at one time owned all the land between the river and Lytton Road (from Apollo Road to the present day Brisbane Abattoir)., but failed to profit from the opportunity."

I wonder if we could talk about William Kandy again.  We can talk via my email (*)

regards

Mary Harlow
(great grandaughter of Mary Donovan - married Reg Blunt)

(*) Moderator Comment: Please see next reply also

e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 September 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Phil hasn't been online here for a couple of weeks but he should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Sorry I removed your email address but we have some policies in place for everyone's protection. If you make one more post, you will then be able to access the personal message system and maybe you and Phil could exchange email addresses there and then corresond off-forum.

Hope this helps.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 September 15 12:47 BST (UK) »