Author Topic: Clancy Family from Ballycumber  (Read 16421 times)

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
  • Personal history lives on through the generations.
    • View Profile
Clancy Family from Ballycumber
« on: Monday 04 July 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the history of my paternal grandmother, Bridget Clancy b. 1901, d. 1994. Parents Joseph b. 1869 d. 1946 and Ann Kane from Tobar, Clara b. 1868 d. 1952

They had 12 living children, 5 of whom went to the U.S. and disappeared (as far as I know). These are the ones I am tring to trace.  The family home was The Island, Ballycumber, Co. Offaly.

1  Margaret born circa  1891
2. Mary born circa  1892
3. Jack  born circa  1896
4. Patrick  born circa  1906
5. Eileen born circa  1908

The years given are accurate +/- 2 years max and they all died in the U.S.  There were 7 others who remained in Ireland.  Any thoughts or info. much appreciated.

Connor/O Connor, Kiltoom, Westmeath
Duff, Coolure, Mayne, Co. Westmeath
Clancy, Kane, Endrim & Kilpatrick, Kings County
McKenzie, Dublin and Dundee.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clancy Family from Ballycumber
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
What U.S. records have you checked so far? 1910/1920/1930 census? Ellis Island website in case they arrived in N.Y. (goes up to 1924)?
Any clue as to where in U.S.? (each state keeps separate records)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Ellis Island is the only site I know of to check and I am doing that as I write.  I have no further info besides what I have already stated and was hoping someone has an idea of where to go next. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 13:15 BST (UK) »
First, easiest and free site to search is LDS-
https://www.familysearch.org/

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
First of all thanks for your help on this.  Nothing turned up on Ellis Island but on your suggestion I found a Patrick Clancy's marriage cert in Hockessin, New Castle, Delaware. Not sure if it's him but enough info. to warrant a follow up.
Of the 5 names, I find it strange that they do not show up anywhere. Is this unusual?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
If they did go to the U.S. they might have arrived at Boston or Philadelphia, or even through Canada, rather than New York. Also, Ellis Island only goes up to 1924, certainly the youngers ones could have left home later. Three of the 'missing' children are girls who could have married in U.S. (or England or even before leaving Ireland) and show up in death records under another surname. Remember that not every record is online.

Offline benchurian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Just came across this website which others on the US forum are raving about.  Have'nt tried it out yet but looks interesting. It lists the sailings to Boston and Phili.

http://www.genealogybranches.com/

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Benchurian,

There is a Patrick Clancy born 1906 Ballycumber. Kings Co. Ireland and aged 21 years, single, labourer. He was  travelling Cobh. Ireland to New York on the Adriatic, arriving 25 September 1927. Father was Joseph Clancy, Kilpatrick, Ballycumber.  Patrick was going to a cousin Mr P Whelehan, 310 East 39 Street. New York City. Patrick was 5 ft 8 ins. Fair complexion, fair hair, blue eyes and no distinguishing marks. Patrick had never been in the USA before, paid for his own passage and had $40.

Not sure these belong to your family but also listed below him was an Elizabeth Clancy aged 17 years, single, domestic servant. Place of birth was Fermoy. County Cork and Hannah Clancy aged 18 years, single, domestic servant. Place of birth Fermoy. County Cork. Mother of both listed as Catherine Clancy. Grange. Fermoy. County Cork. Going to a brother Patrick Clancy. 66 Grand Street. Waterbury. Conn.

Hope this helps.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 July 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
There is also a Mary Clancy listed on a Boston Passenger List.  Mary Clancy born about 1892 Ballycumber. Ireland and aged 20 years. Travelling from Queenstown. Ireland to Massachusetts arriving 6 th June 1912 on the Franconia
Father was listed as Joseph Clancy. Ballycumber. King Co.  Mary was going to her sister Maggie Clancy. 208 Benefit Street. Providence. Rhode Island.  Mary was 5 ft 6 ins. Fair complexion, fair hair and blue eyes.
There are also manifest markings above her name:-  C/ A  1-326734  13 August 1941 FC which may indicate she applied or was naturalized at that date.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada