Author Topic: Montana Cowboy John Hughes  (Read 3257 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Montana Cowboy John Hughes
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
WW1 Draft for John Hughes. Born December 4 th 1873. Occupation:- Farmer for self near Great Falls.
Wife Mrs Dorothy Hughes. Box 868 Great Falls. Montana. Short height, medium build, grey eyes and brown hair with no distinguishing marks.

Dated 11 th September 1918
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
John in Chestnut, Cascade, Montana in 1900

John Hughes aged 25 years.  Born Wales. Immigrated 1888. Single. Farm Labourer.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 July 11 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi - in repsonse to your original question:

Does anyone know if it is possible to trace the original article and obtain a better image?

Highland Cemetery, as mentioned in obit, is in Great Falls, which is in Cascade county.  The Great Falls Tribune is the primary newspaper in this town and has been around since 1884.  My suggestion would be to send a request to the Great Falls Public Library

http://www.greatfallslibrary.org/question.html  ]

Ask a Librarian service.  Give them his date of death and include the copy of the obit if possible.  Be sure to tell them you are looking for a better photo so they will scan it for you at high resolution.

I have had success following this procedure.

Nick

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Chester-Rod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help - I was not expecting to receive so much useful information.  I have managed to fill in quite a few gaps in my family history.  I have emailed the Great Falls Library and am keeping my fingers crossed for a good reult.  Thanks once again.

Rod

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 July 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rod,

Pleasure.  Thought that was interesting in reply 7 that one of the daughters visited Wales in 1955.

Good Luck with the library.
Sandra

Offline Chester-Rod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that the Library was able to track down the newspaper that the obituary was in but they only had a poor microfilm copy.  However, they pointed me in the direction of the Great Falls Museum and they had pristine copies of the original newspaper and for just $8 (£5) they have provided me with a number of digital scans of the article and photo.  Great result!  Thanks once again.

Rod

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Rod,

That is brilliant news and thanks for letting us know, its always really lovely to hear how people get on.    Were they able to give you any other information at all ?

Sandra