Author Topic: Bethalina CHAPMAN  (Read 2063 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bethalina CHAPMAN
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for info on the batism and family of my ancestor, Bethalina Chapman.  I thought the unusal name would make that search easy, but no.

Bethalina Chapman died in November 1835 in Danby, North Yorkshire and was aged 68 years old.  Her husband, Nathaniel Langburn (Langborn/Longburn/Longborn/Langburne/Langbourne etc), was from quite a wealthy family of local Yeomen farmers.

Bethalina Chapman married Nathaniel Langburn in Liverton, Yorkshire on 8th April 1789; this was Bethalina's parish and Nathaniel was living in Stokesley at the time of his marriage. The couple had three sons, George (1790-1828), John (1794-1871) and Robert (1805-1853). This family seemed to be less prosperous than the other Langburn families who were prosperous farmers.  Nathaniel and Bethalina's eldest son George left the area to become an Excise Officer, and he and his wife died within a year or so of each other.  Their orphaned four children were moved to Danby and were split up and placed with various members of the Langburn family. Later the children of George were joined with Francis and Henry Scarth the illegitimate children of one of George's daughters Bethalina (1816-1906).  When George died intestate at Skipton in 1828, Nathaniel, his father applied for a Bond of Administration and described his son as a Bachelor. John his second son stayed at home ran the family butchers shop and died a bachelor. However after his fathers death in 1851 John describes himself as a farmer of 20 acres. Robert his youngest son married Elizabeth (Betty) Wilson at Egton,Yorks he followed the family tradition and became a farmer. Like his father, he had three children.

I am not sure if this extra information helps but I hope it help in finding a baptism for Bethalina Chapman born c. 1768.

Thank you again.

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bethalina CHAPMAN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 15:13 BST (UK) »

Hi Peter,

Berthalina Chapman baptism 5 April 1770 Loftus Yorkshire, father Robert Chapman.
Batch C105512. 

Val ;D
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
Wow, Loftus is two miles from Liverton, so I assume this is the right one!  Thanks Val!

How did you find her?  I looked and looked but nothing!

Thanks,

Peter

PS I have some Swales info for you soon

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 01:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Peter,

Put the name into the pilot search, only one that came up.  Was a bit surprised myself but there it is and am sure that will be her.  No marriage or baptism for Robert in that batch.   Is an earlier Bethalina at Stokesley.  May be connected.

I have more news on my Swales also.   :)
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
Ha yes the earlier Bethalina married Horatio Tweddel.  Fantastic names!  Looking forward to hearing about the Swales.  Will try and send tomorrow.

I have looked for her parents but I cant see anything.  Not sure what other avenue to take here at the minute.

Also, there is a brother of Bethalina named Morgan Chapman, botn 1765, but I can't see a marriage or a death.  Can someone suggest what became of him?

Thanks

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
I descided to look up the MI transcripts for Liverton, Loftus, Stokesley and Danby (Morgan and Bethalina Chapman were baptised in Loftus, Bethalina was married in Liverton, her husband was living in Stokesley at the marriage and another Bethalina Chapman, and who is probably an aunt, married there in 1754; finally, Bethalina and her husband lived, raised their family and died in Danby, Yorkshire). No obvious entries for `CHAPMAN` appear in Liverton, Loftus or Stokesley BUT in Danby Churchyard there is this:

`In memory of Jane the wife of Robert CHAPMAN who died 31 Jan 1782 aged 43 years. Also of Robert CHAPMAN who died 4 Sep 1798 aged 66 years. Erected by their sons Norton CHAPMAN, master mariner and John CHAPMAN, carpenter of his Majesty`s ship "Naiad". Sincere friends though dead could not be forgot.`

A connection?