Author Topic: Will of Samuel Proud Help Please part 1 of 2  (Read 3287 times)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
Will of Samuel Proud Help Please part 1 of 2
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help decipher this will, this is what I think have so far correct me if I am wrong

The last will and testament of Samuel Proud of Bilston in the county of Stafford said surgeon --- -- John William the younger of

I have worked out that he had daughter's Mary married to Rev William Leigh, Jane Proud, Sarah Proud son's John Proud and thanks to Roots Chatters George Proud, also grand-daughter's Catherine and Sarah Cumberbatch

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Samuel Proud Help Please part 1 of 2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 17:47 BST (UK) »

Think it says gentleman, not surgeon.

vv.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks VV

I am sorry I have missed some out, I think the surgeon relates to Thomas Boot my eye sight is not that good I have a cataract problem and it is such a strain trying to read this.

Thanks again Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 00:26 BST (UK) »

Hi MargP,

I've made a start on  a transcript, but unable to grasp the whole
alphabet in use for some reason. If someone could fill in the gaps
it might show me where I am failing.

This is the Last Will and Testament of me Samuel
Proud of Bilston in the County of Stafford Gentleman. First I give devise and bequeath unto
my friend Norris Boot of Bilston aforesaid Surgeon and to John Willim(??) the younger of the
same place Gentleman All my freehold copyhold and leasehold Messuages Lands Tenements
hereditaments situate lying and being in Bilston aforesaid and in Birmingham in the
County of Warwick or elsewhere within the Kingdom of Great Britain with ___
of ____ members(??) and appurt[enance]s and all and singular my Personal Estate
whatsoever and wheresoever to hold to them the said Norris Boot and John ___
Upon the trusts and to and for the ___ intents and purposes hereinafter mentioned
that is to say Upon trust that they the said Norris Boot and John ___ or the Survivor
of them and their Heirs Executors Admons and Assigns of such Survivor do and shall at such
fund and funds as they may think proper make sale and absolutely dispose of by public
auction or private contract All and singular my said freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Estate
and such part of my personal Estate as as shall be saleable in such parts and proportions
as my said trustees shall deem right and proper and by and out of the .......

vv.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi vv

Thank you so much it is brilliant, I have posted part 2 this may help with the missing alphabet and what you have done so far may help me decipher this.

Marp
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 13:22 BST (UK) »

Hi MargP,

Here we are up to the end of the first page, but again a lot of gaps I'm afraid:

sale and sales in the first place to pay all the costs Charges and Expenses of my said trustees
and about the performance of all or any of the trusts hereby ...........
place to pay all my just debts ____ of Admon and my funeral and testamentary
expenses and to pay the residue and remainder of the said trust monies in the shares and
proportions hereinafter mentioned that is to say one sixth share thereof to my
daughter Mary the Wife of the Revd William Leigh one other sixth part thereof to my
Son John Proud another sixth part thereof to Catherine? the Wife of William ___ one
other sixth part thereof to my daughter Jane Proud one other sixth part thereof to
my Son George Proud & I will & direct that the same shall be taken as vested legacies and __
payable to my said above named children and their ___ Executors Admons & Assigns
for their __ respective? absolute use and disposal & as to the remaining sixth part __

vv.

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi vv

I can't thank you enough for this, it will now enable me to recognise the letters, I have five more wills to do, so your help as been invaluable, I am having laser treatment on an after Cataract this afternoon so hopefully I should be up and running then.

Thanks again Margp
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 15:14 BST (UK) »

No problem, and good luck with the treatment.

I'll have a try at page two once I can set aside some time.

vv.

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 00:45 BST (UK) »

Hi MargP,

Page two was marginally more readable, and helped a little.

Rather than press on with page two, I have revisited page one, and there are now no gaps,
as below. please ignore my earlier replies (#3 and #5) as I found that I had even missed an
entire line out.

This is the Last Will and Testament of me Samuel
Proud of Bilston in the County of Stafford Gentleman. First I give devise and bequeath unto
my friend Norris Boot of Bilston aforesaid Surgeon and to John Willim the younger of the
same place Gentleman All my freehold copyhold and leasehold Messuages Lands Tenements
hereditaments situate lying and being in Bilston aforesaid and in Birmingham in the
County of Warwick or elsewhere within the Kingdom of Great Britain with their and
of their rights members and appurt[enance]s and all and singular my personal Estate
whatsoever and wheresoever to hold to them the said Norris Boot and John Willim
the younger their heirs Executors Admons and assigns to the nature and quality thereof respectively
Upon the trusts and to and for the now intents and purposes hereinafter mentioned
that is to say Upon trust that they the said Norris Boot and John Willim or the Survivor
of them and their Heirs Executors Admons and Assigns of such Survivor do and shall at such
fund and funds as they may think proper make sale and absolutely dispose of by public
auction or private contract All and singular my said freehold Copyhold and Leasehold Estate
and such part of my personal Estate as as shall be saleable in such parts and proportions
as my said trustees shall deem right and proper and by and out of the monies arising by such
sale and sales in the first place to pay all the costs Charges and Expenses of my said trustees
and about the performance of all or any of the trusts hereby in them reposed and in the next
place to pay all my just debts in a due course of Admon and my funeral and testamentary
expenses and to pay the residue and remainder of the said trust monies in the shares and
proportions hereinafter mentioned that is to say one sixth share thereof to my
daughter Mary the Wife of the Revd William Leigh one other sixth part thereof to my
Son John Proud another sixth part thereof to Catherine the Wife of William Woolley one
other sixth part thereof to my daughter Jane Proud one other sixth part thereof to
my Son George Proud & I will & direct that the same shall be taken as vested legacies and
payable to my said above named children and their respective Executors Admons & Assigns
for their own respective absolute use and disposal & as to the remaining sixth part or share of
the

Sorry this is taking so long. Will now move on to page two as originally promised, and hopefully
will be a little quicker.

vv.