Author Topic: CENSUS: NOBLE and / or COMYN  (Read 7914 times)

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CENSUS: NOBLE and / or COMYN
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Morgan - thank you SO much for all of this; I've been struggling to find details of the ship (i.e. the reg. number) for ages, so this is a big help!

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 July 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
I've now obtained a marriage certificate for Frank Comyn, and have discovered that his father, also Francis Comyn, was a "gentleman" by profession - but the latter's wife, Annie, is listed as Annie Noble as witness on son Frank's wedding certificate.  Would anyone have any way of finding details of Francis Snr. and Annie's wedding, please?  I have been unsuccessul with attempts thus far.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
....but the latter's wife, Annie, is listed as Annie Noble as witness on son Frank's wedding certificate.  Would anyone have any way of finding details of Francis Snr. and Annie's wedding....

As she is named as Annie Noble on her son's marriage certificate, and on the CWCG record of his death, it is likely that she did not marry Francis Comyn.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Morgan!  In historical terms, does anyone know whether it would have been socially acceptable for Annie to have given Comyn's name to her son even if they weren't married?  I was under the impression that it wouldn't have been.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

If his parents were not married then in England, Wales & Scotland the father could not be included on the birth registration unless he was present at the registration and agreed but there was nothing to stop Annie having Comyn as a middle name. Nor is there anything to stop Frank using Comyn as a surname. Most of us researching in Scotland would have come across cases were illigitimate births were registered under the mothers surname but the child then used the reputed fathers surname.

Andy

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
This is v. v. helpful Andy so thank you very much!  :)

Offline junerabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
Edith Comyn (nee Paynter) was the sister of my grandfather and like him was born in Egloshayle, Cornwall UK.  where her name was registered as Eaduth.  Her other siblings were:
Frances b. 1876 Torquay Devon, William B. 1877 Torquay died Cardiff August 1886, Mary Josophine b 1878 Egloshayle, Francis (my grandfather) b 1879 Egloshayle, Nellie b 1882 Egloshayle, Kathleen b Egloshayle 1883, Ethel b 1887 Cardiff, Hercules b 1888 Cardiff.
I knew 2 of my great aunts but do not remember meeting Edith but I did meet Albert Comyn (known as Jack) who was a cousin to my father b.1908 and a few years older.  If I remember correctly he was brought up by my great grandparents, but was privately educated at Monkton House School, Cardiff.  I met him when he lived in Bristol.  I have the Paynter family history in Cornwall going back to 1500's.
I also have a photograph of Edith and her sisters taken with my grandfather before he went to the First World War where he was a private with the Liverpool Rifles.

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
junerabbit - thank you so much for all of this information (and apologies for the delay in seeing this!).  Do you happen to know anything else about Albert / Jack?  I would love to find out more.