Author Topic: LEGGAT from Scotland to Cumberland ( Harrington)  (Read 3527 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
LEGGAT from Scotland to Cumberland ( Harrington)
« on: Sunday 01 May 05 02:20 BST (UK) »
Alt. spelling LEGGET

My gg grandfather was James LEGGAT born around 1841.

I believe his parents may have been James LEGGAT and Jane FREW (Jane Frew were first&middle names of my gg grandfather's 2nd daughter and of my grandmother as well.) James and Jane were married Jan 1840 in New Monkland (source IGI)

Note: I also found (IGI) a CHARLOTTE LEGGET Birth:12 OCT 1859 Old Monkland, Lanark, Scotland parents: JAMES LEGGET & JANE FREW

James married Agnes HALLIDAY 2-Nov-1860 Parish Cambusnethan, county of Lanark, District 628 Lanarkshire Scotland.

They had 5 children in the Monklands before moving to (Harrington)Cumberland, Eng., where they had 3 more:
Elizabeth Dick (my great grandmother) b. 1-Dec-1861 Old Monkland
Jane Frew b. 10-Apr-1864 New Monkland
John b. 16-Nov-1866 New Monkland
James b 27-Aug-1869 New Monkland
David Halliday b 30-Oct-1871 New Monkland

Then they moved to Harrington and had 3 more children:

Robert b. 1874 Harrington, Cumb. Eng
William b. 1876 Harrington, Cumb. Eng
Thomas b. 1878 Harrington, Cumb. Eng

At least a couple of the LEGGAT children went to Canada, including my g grandmother after she married.

By 1881 my g grandmother Elizabeth Dick LEGGAT was working for people who I believe were relatives:
1881 British Census -
James DICK - 1881 British Census / Cumberland
Head Gender: Male Birth: <1839> Scotland

Mary DICK - 1881 British Census / Cumberland
Wife Gender: Female Birth: <1843> Scotland

Elizth. Dick LEGGAT - 1881 British Census / Cumberland

Certainly they were related to DICKS from her mother's side.

Also related to the family (although I haven't a clue in what manner) were the RANKIN family, possibly of workington. I say this because in the 1891 census a Rankin relative was with them:

Margaret Rankin 13 Relative born Cockermouth.

John married Martha TOWERS; Jane married someone with the (sur)name Edger or Edgar; David married a Margaret? and Elizabeth married James FERGUSON.

Would love to hear from anyone connected to the family to share info.
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)