Author Topic: Who was William WYLIE?  (Read 4145 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was William WYLIE?
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
I came across a death notice in the London Morning Post of 21 November 1862, "On the 17th inst, at Hoddesdon, Herts, William Wyllie Esq of London, aged sixty-nine".

I am wondering if this could be William Wyllie, born 1793 in Forfar in Angus, married to Martha Morrison and then to Mary ?, involved in a series of legal cases over his wife's father's estates in Tobago, and bankrupted in 1838. At that time he lived at Castlebar Park, near Ealing, but in the 1841 census he was in Richmond, Surrey.

His son William Morrison Wyllie made a name for himself as a painter, and fathered two sons who also became well-known painters, William Lionel Wyllie and Charles William Wyllie. He also made unsuccessful attempts to revive his father's law suits, in 1844 and 1847.

Could he also be the William Wyllie, brother of John Wyllie, surgeon, East India Company, who was certified insane in 1836? This John Wyllie managed to get married in 1846, and died in an asylum in 1848. I have found John in the 1841 census, and he is shown as born in Scotland. His brother William went to court in 1851 to have the marriage declared invalid on the grounds of his brother's insanity at the time.

I have failed, so far, to find William Wyllie in either the 1851 or 1861 census.

Any bright ideas will be appreciated!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Who was William Wyllie?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this the one you describe?

Kensington and Chelsea, Kensal Green All Souls, 1862, Page 94
William Wyllie, lived Hoddesdon, buried All Souls Cemetery, (1862 page 223)

Willam Wyllie, Ware 1862 3a 127   

Your title question seems vague compared to what you seem to know?
What are the relevant dates of the births and marriages?
Are you JUST looking for him in the 2 census files?

KR
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Is this the one you describe?
Kensington and Chelsea, Kensal Green All Souls, 1862, Page 94
William Wyllie, lived Hoddesdon, buried All Souls Cemetery, (1862 page 223)
Willam Wyllie, Ware 1862 3a 127

Yes, thank you very much indeed, it looks like the one. But I still can't find him in the 1861 census so I can't be 100% certain.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
So you have 51? Ref?

(Brevity is eagerness to help)

Modified ............

But you seem to have other detail?
"Does anyone have access to the marriage details of William Wyllie and Mary Maria Rogers, married on 4 August 1834 in Biggleswade according to the IGI?"
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
So you have 51? Ref?
(Brevity is eagerness to help)

No, just 41.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all

There seems to be at least one other thread with relevant info.

"Does anyone have access to the marriage details of William Wyllie and Mary Maria Rogers, married on 4 August 1834 in Biggleswade according to the IGI?"

R

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,543593.msg3975474.html#msg3975474

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
There seems to be at least one other thread with relevant info.

Yes, sorry, that was me. Hoping someone would be able to look up the marriage details.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

May I suggest that, should you want more information, you post what you know AND the detail of what you post on other relevant threads?

Rootschatters are here to help (as you know).

Everso 'umble

R
 ;D

What was his name? The 'umble one?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 23:15 BST (UK) »
FWIW I have now found some more newspaper articles about the John Wyllie insanity case that indicate that this is indeed the William Wyllie born in Forfar in 1793; John Wyllie left a bequest to the Town Council of Forfar, and another to his sister Mrs Isabella Scott, about whom I have plenty of information.

So I am left with just three questions (at the moment - as you know, every answer raises two new questions)

- Is the William Wyllie who married Mary Maria Rogers the same one? (Edit: I have just had a kind offer of a possible lookup of this bit of information)

- Where was he in 1851 and 1861?

- Is he the one who died in Hoddesdon in 1862?