Author Topic: Downes family of Kilmihil, 1830-1870 and beyond  (Read 7032 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downes family of Kilmihil, 1830-1870 and beyond
« on: Friday 15 July 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Patrick Downes from Cahermurphy townland (b. about 1831) and Mary Gallagher had at least four children, in 1854 (Michael), 6 (John), 8 (Kate) and 1860 (Bridget). All four were baptised in Kilmihil.
Kate and Bridget Downes migrated to Australia in 1877 and 1878 possibly with their brother John. Brother Michael may have stayed in Kilmihil, and may have been a policeman, but I don't know anything specific about the Kilmihil connection apart from the dates of their baptisms and a reference in the 1855 Griffiths valuation.
I think at least some of the Downes were in Kilmihil when Kate returned to see them about 1901.

Do these names and dates ring any bells for anyone?

Here's hoping!
Cathy
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Downes family of Kilmihil, 1830-1870 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Cathy,

Not sure if you are aware but Kilmihil have their own website and there is a section purely on genealogy.

http://www.kilmihil.com/

My father was originally from this village and I have managed to do quite a bit of research using this site.  :)

I have also done some work on the Downes family as I have a family connection.
From my work I can confirm Michael, John, Kate and Bridget's birth records if interested. PM me if you want.

Regards

Tony

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
How exciting - thank you!
I got the baptism record (including godparents names) from the archive in Dublin - do you have separate birth details?
I'll get straight on to the kilmihil site, can't wait!! Thanks so much for the tip,
Cathy
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I've just looked at the site you recommended and unfortunately I didn't find anything about the Patrick Downes / Mary Gallagher marriage or their deaths.
The only reference relating to Patrick's possible siblings could be ( I think) the 1862 marriage of Michael Downes to Bridget McNamara.  Do you have any info about that marriage? Might that Michael be related to 'our' Patrick do you think?

All my info is on the ancestry website if you're interested in following the Downes girls and their families once they arrived in Australia. (John remains a bit of a mystery - a couple of possibilities exist but nothing fixed)

Cheers,
Cathy

Offline TheRedFox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Cathy,

Sorry can't confirm if Michael and Patrick are brothers but can confirm Michael married Bridget McNamara 14th Feb. 1862.
From what I have worked out they had 6 children:

Honor   24   February   1868
Thomas   ?   March   1870
Owen   30   March   1873
Michael   4   November   1876
Pat       27   January   1879
John     27   May      1882

Hope this helps....

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 July 11 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
I won't add Michael to my tree just yet, although since Patrick Downes and Mary Gallagher had a child named Michael there may be a relationship there. I think its a fair bet that Patrick had a brother called James -  my Patrick's children's godprents were:
James Downes and Bess Downes (Michael 1854)
James Downes and Pegg Downes (John 1856)
James Downes and Mary Coelby (Kate 1858)
John Downes and Mary Murphy (Bridget 1860)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
From Brian J Cantwell's Memorial of the Dead;

Wesr Clare;
Kildeema cemetery;

erected by Patrick Downes in memory of
Michael Downes; 11/3/1833 (20)

erected by James /Michael Downes in memory of
Father-Anthony Downes; (Kildimo)
14/8/1861 (74)
also Patrick Downes
=========================
Kilfarboy;
erected by Patrick Dounes in memory of
wife-Ellen; (nee Ryan)
18/2/1834 (26)
----
erected by father/brother, John & Frances Downes
James Downes, Breughleaugh
11/12/1829 (32)
===============================
Might not be the same branch of family.
Jack

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this - is Kildeema near Kilmihil?  I suppose I'd need a death cert from Patrick Walsh or Mary Gallagher to establish whether they have a Michael in their generation or earlier? I suspect any death certs from this time would be impossible to find, but the info you've provided certainly adds to the mystery!
Cheers,
Cathy

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: a policeman in the Downes family of Kilmihil, late 1800s?
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
The family had the idea that one of the Downes relatives was a policeman, perhaps in Ennis or in Kilmihil. That piece of info might jog a memory for someone?