Author Topic: Ronald Cullen McCavour  (Read 6205 times)

Offline paulausa00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ronald Cullen McCavour
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am trying to find info. on a Ronald Cullen McCavour, born in New Brunswick, Canada to Allan McCavour and Hazel Shaw.  Ronald married a Florence Margaret O'Brien.  They had two children of which I have only found out about 2 weeks ago and have corresponded with one of them.  Unfortunately, she doesn't know much about him.  I guess he was in the Army in Canada and when he came back, he left his wife and two kids.  I know he died in Mass, USA in about 1972.  He was possibly an ambulance driver in the military, but not sure if he ever saw active duty.  Can anyone help me out with this? 

Thanks so much,
Paula

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Cullen McCavour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 02:34 BST (UK) »
The name Shaw on this Border Crossings from Canada to US Aug 1918 intrigued me because he looks as if he is travelling alone.
Port of arrival Saint Albans Vermont.
Ronald McCavour age 4 years and 6 months nationality English
Birth country Canada
His number is stamped over with the word DEBARRED. Then decision appealed 12 June 1918 order excluded July? 1918 (these dates are a little iffy)
Mili ? file no 11068/1516.
Last permanent address St John
Name and complete address of nearest relative or friend whence alien came -
Mother Elisa Shaw 39 Watt Street (this looks like it could have the initial Gr in front of mother making it grandmother.
Final destination Boston

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 11 02:46 BST (UK) »
Then this
List or Manifest of Alien Passengers applying for Admission. From Canada to US
Port of St John NB
Ronald McCavour age 4 and 1/2
Elisa Shaw age 63
File no 11068/1516

Offline paulausa00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that info.  Unfortunately that is about all the info. that I already have, so I am trying to find more to fill in some gaps.  What I have right now is...Born 10/5/1913 in St. John, NB.  He married Florence Margaret O'Brien on 10/2/1937 in St. John, NB.  He died on 2/16/1972 in Bridgewater, Plymouth, MA, USA.  I have info. from his death cert.  It states that he was a trucker and there was no permanent home address given for him.  And I have his ss #...So, not sure when he actually got through to US with his grandmother or how long he was in US before returning to Canada where he married Florence and had two children.  He was in the Army in Canada, but unable to find any records on that either.  His daughter states that he drove an ambulance in the Army, but she didn't know if he saw any active duty or not.  He left his wife and family when he returned from the military according to his daughter.  Any ideas on where to start from here???

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
I am not familiar with Canadian research but there are some resources listed at the top of this Canada forum. Also for an army record you could try this site
http://www.rhli.ca/veterans/milsvcrecords.html
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Offline paulausa00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Any help is aprreciated and I will check the site that you sent me...I have a feeling this will be a difficult family to research due to them going back and forth from Canada to US and back...Thanks so much.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 11 01:13 BST (UK) »
Can you be more specific as to what type of info you are looking for. You have his birth, marriage, and death. Are you looking for his ancestry or trying to track his whereabouts after WW2. Service records for WW2 are not available to the public unless the serviceman/woman died while serving. Service files are available for families for genealogy purposes but there are strict guidelines for ordering them. The information is available at Library and Archives Canada.
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

If you are looking for census information, 1881, 1891 are available at the above site and can view the original documents using pdf or jpeg.

1852 census of NB, the 1901 and 1911 census of Canada are available for free and original documents can be viewed using the split screen/view option at
http://automatedgenealogy.com

Offline paulausa00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 11 01:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track his whereabouts and find some ancestry.  I will check the sites that you mentioned and hopefully will find something.  Thanks so much....

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 July 11 01:57 BST (UK) »
Sometimes working backward will get you to the info that you really want.

on the Automated genealogy site that I listed above you will find both families for the McCavour's and Shaws.
1911/New Brunswick/Saint John
Household 2, line 4 to 7
Edward Shaw
Eliza Shaw
Lottie Shaw
Hazel Shaw, b. 1895, age 16

Household 353, line 32 to 38
Ellen McCavour
Allan, age 19, b. 1892
Annie
Hazen
Nellie
Dorothy
Frances
You can view the original documents through the split screen. It will give other information such as birth dates, where born, immigration, occupations and in 1911 also the street name.

more to follow in new post