Author Topic: Convict ship Blenheim 1  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict ship Blenheim 1
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 09:33 BST (UK) »
             Hi
can someone help me find out any more about Captain James Brown and the ship he was Captain of ( Blenheim I ) arriving at Port Jackson Australia on 14th November 1834 after departing from Cork Ireland on 27th July 1834.
there were 200 male convict 8 Woman and 9 Children on board.
           Chatso58

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convict ship Blenheim 1
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Re the ship

That voyage departed Cork 27 July 1834.  The Blenheim was of 373 tons, the Superintendent on that voyage was James Wilson, and you already have the Captain as James Brown and 200 male convicts.  It arrived in Sydney on Friday, 14 Nov 1834

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42005353  18 November 1834 The Australian

Earlier newspapers note there were also 10 free settlers also on board, and that James Wilson was a Surgeon with the Royal Navy, and that the convict guards were drawn from the 50th Regiment which included the 8 women and 9 children that you noted (these would be the wives and children of some of the men in that regiment).

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2217552  15 November 1834 Sydney Gazette

Are you after family history information about Captain James Brown, or after family history information about any of the passengers (convicts, the garrison forces, the free settlers etc) ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Chatso58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convict ship Blenheim 1
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
          Hi Majm
thank you for your reply and all the information about  the ship Blenheim 1
I did have a convict ancestor come on the Blenheim  1 John Donnellan but a search has been done on him sometime ago in earlier posts.
I was trying to find out a little about Captain James Brown, it would be good to have some back ground on him to know what kind of man he was.
 I appreciate your help thank's again Chatso58