Author Topic: Turner Family of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turner Family of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire
« on: Sunday 17 July 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am looking for anyone researching the history of the Turner Family of Brampton.

I am particularly interested in two of the children of Amos Turner (a butcher by occupation), and his wife Eliza Mee. Amos was born in 1866 the son of John Turner and Elizabeth Fox, in Brampton and died I believe in the Middlesbrough area of North Yorkshire in 1927.

Amos is living with his wife Eliza and her grandmother Jane Mee in Chesterfield according to the 1891 Census.

Two of Amos and Eliza's children both born in the Chesterfield area Lucy born about 1893 and Florence born about 1895 and both are described as "Nurse Child" in the 1901 Census of Stockton Co. Durham. Lucy was baptised in 1893 in Chesterfield and shortly after her birth the family must have moved to South Shields in Co. Durham when Florence where Florence was baptised in 1895.

I have found Amos Turner who I believe separated from his wife, living as a border in the 1901 Census in Thornaby and in Middlesbrough in the 1911 Census. I can not locate Lucy or Florence in the 1911 Census records.

I would appreciate any advice in helping me to locate Lucy and Florence after this time. I believe that Florence moved to Huddersfield where she married (?) George Watson before 1918 when their child Kathleen was born.

many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Turner Family of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
I too have ancestors named TURNER from Old Brampton, but they don't seem to fit in with yours.   However, did you know that the TURNER's were orignally at the Adelphi foundry at Sutton-cum-Duckmanton and my particular branch moved to the foundry at Old Brampton (both foundries at Old Brampton and Sutton-cum-Duckmanton were owned by the Smith family of Sheffield) after the Aldephi foundry closed, and then when money problems shut the Old Brampton foundry in the 1830's, my particular branch of the TURNER family moved to Andrew Handyside's foundry in Derby.   I have posted other information regarding these foundries onto a different topic on the forum today concerning a request in the Derbyshire Lookup Requests for "Sutton-cum-Duckmanton Parish Registers - REVILL).   We may find a link between our families, you never know!

Offline ceszca100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Turner Family of Brampton near Chesterfield, Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, I am researching  Amos Turner who was my great grandfather, on my fathers side, He was a Master Butcher as was his father before him. There was also some mention of  Amos’s father being an inn keeper too.

I hope you are still researching as your post was 2011.

I hope to hear back from you to compare the info we have on the Turners.

Keep well and stay safe .

Helen F Sawyer ( nee Barnes)