Author Topic: Burton Dassett  (Read 996 times)

Offline blackpool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burton Dassett
« on: Wednesday 20 July 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage of William Gillett and Mary ? at Burton Dassett on 9/10/1698. I'd be very grateful if anyone could find out the wife's surname for me. Thanks

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burton Dassett
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 July 19 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I know this is a very old post, but if anyone is still out there, I have only recently discovered my Gillet connection, and only today found the Burton Dassett origins. I have William and Mary's first child Richard baptised 17 Oct 1696, so I would be most interested in the marriage details, even if there is no maiden name for Mary.
William and Mary were my 8g grandparents, through another son William bap 28 Nov 1708.
I have a lot of Gillets from Burton and from nearby Stoneleigh, where my Mum's MAYO line originated from.
Regards
Phil How
(Croxley Green, Herts)

Offline blackpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 July 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, I'm still here but I'm not going to be much use to you. It's ages since I did this and I have no idea where I got the info from. I've logged it as parish register but I see that the said register has since appeared on Ancestry and I can find no mention of the marriage which I have down as 9/9/1698. Neither can I find the baptism of a child Mary which I have as 16/3/1700. The first baptism I can find is that of William 27/3/1704 (he died  3/3/1704 to be replaced by another William 28/11/1708) where it states that the family were living in Knightcote. There are large gaps in the register so I can't find the Richard you mention being baptised 17/10/1696, which is significantly before the marriage, assuming that either of these pieces of info is correct of course! Where did you find that? Sorry not to be any help.
Paul

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 July 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes looking through the register I can see Richard's baptism,no sign of the marriage in 1698.
There are a couple of years before that on the same page but he's not there 1696-1702.
Then there is a gap in marriages 1685-1696 on the register on Ancestry.

Familysearch has a tree on Mary giving her name as Mary Sexton and a latter second marriage in 1720 Connecticut but no evidence for their assumptions

The Hearth tax is on there
Hierom Gillett one hearth 1670 and 1673
Daughter Elizabeth bapt 21 Feb 1668

Ciderdrinker