Author Topic: Last crew agreement  (Read 2227 times)

Offline adonoghue1985

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Last crew agreement
« on: Wednesday 20 July 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

currently looking at a last crew agreement for my grandfather who was in the Royal Navy during WW2. Its states the previous ship he served on was what appeared to be 'Vic 9 on the document'. He served on a lot of merchant navy vessels but 'Vic 9' is something I can't get my head around.

Is it an acronym or abreviation for a full name?

Thanks

Andy

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Last crew agreement
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
Early in the war years 1939/40 it was found that a large fleet of self propelled cargo lighters would be needed. VIC stands for Victualling Inshore Craft. They were based on the design of the Clyde Puffer.
VIC 9 was a standard vessel built by R Dunston Ltd. Thorne.
96grt, 66.8 feet X 18.4 completed July 1942 involved with Naval Work until 1947 renamed C667 at Portsmouth as a water boat. No further trace after this date.
To give you an idea of what a VIC ship looked like see
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20V/slides/VIC%2019-01.html
As these vessels were so small they appear not to have been given an official number. (Crew agreements are accessed via the O/N) there seems little chance of finding one.
I suggest you get hold of a copy of Lloyds register (ships under 300 ton Trawlers Dredgers Tugs etc) from 1943-1947 just in case she did have an O/N.
You may also find it here.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=343569&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2CVIC%2CVIC&accessmethod=0&j=1

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022