Author Topic: 15 Merrion street belfast  (Read 3675 times)

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
15 Merrion street belfast
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks i need help in finding out who lived @15 merrion street in 1915, 1916 and 1917. My great gran mother Elizabeth Kane was buired form here in oct 1916.   My gr great gran father had died in 1913 and was looking to know if it was other members of the family that lived there as my gran father would only be aged 5 yrs.  Many thanks..jim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Merrion street belfast
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
In 1918, an Elizabeth Kane is living at that address see www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1918.htm
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ballyaltikillgang i noticed that elizabeth kane lived there but thats my gr,gran mother and she past away in oct 1916. My gr,gran father had a sister called elizabeth but was better knowen as lizzie but she died in 1914.     thanks  jim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
If the family stayed in the same house sometimes the name of head of household was not changed in the directory.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey thanks for the reply  i think one of my gran fathers relatives must of moved in because my gran father would only have been aged 7yrs and his brothers would have been john aged abt 9yrs and james abt 5/6 yrs  in 1918...jim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim, I am unsure if you have connected the family into the 1911 census. Names of the grandfathers going back might help as would the denomination. the nearest I could guess is the Kanes living in 19  Milltown Row (St. Anne's Ward, Antrim). Good luck anyway BallyG
worldwide

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi BallyG The kane family you mentioned from miltown row is not my gr,gran father. My gr,gran father and gr,gran mother lived @ Montrose street (pottinger) on the 1911 census it was a mixed marriage and they lived with my gr,gran fathers mother Margaret. By the time my gran father was born on the 19 nov 1911 they had moved to 16 Garnet street in the falls. Its after this that things become confused, by jul-sep 1913 my gr gran father has died in the Union Hosp Belfast. And inbetween 1912 and when my gr,gran father died they had an other son James (who died 2001). After my gr,gran mother died in 1916 i was hoping that the name as head of house hold would have changed and given me some idea of who was looking after my gran father and his brothers as they where very young.  I was told that they where taken in to care by the sally army because they had an aunt who work with them and all this is surpose to have happened by 1913 when both of my gr,gran parents where dead. As i now know only my gr,gran father was dead by 1913.  I got in contact with the sally army and they said that thier records for belfast in the early part of the 1900s was lost when the four courts in dublin was burn.  So thats where iam now so ill keep digging around.. thanks for your reply  jim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
I looked up the 74 Montrose St entry for daughter in law Elizabeth Kane aged 23 who has been married 3 years, with one child James P [I think it’s a P rather than a R] aged 1. Elizabeth is presumably married to one of Margaret’s 3 sons ie James, John or Thomas. The entry for this Elizabeth and Jame is in a different hand to the other entries and added in last.
I did wonder Sarah Kane or her mother Margaret could among the others have been the Salvation Army helper. Regarding the missing records I have learnt to question what did get destroyed. Have you tried the National Archives direct for final proof.
I did wonder if the local parish priest might have become involved and if so any records. Any burials might be withpout memorialsif life was so dire, neverthe less any records?
Keep digging, I dont think I can offer further suggestions, BallyG
worldwide

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1911 census transcription- son John is the only one at home married (although Elizabeth's husband could be away from home on census night)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Montrose_Street/222374
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!