Author Topic: US census look-up 1900/1910  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
US census look-up 1900/1910
« on: Monday 02 May 05 09:48 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to look for the following people in the 1900/1910 census for me? They are rumoured to have gone to New York and the lady was certainly there after WW1 but by then she was remarried.
Many thanks for any help :)

William Ernest Hope born 1881 Derby England
Margaret Hope (nee Billingham) born 1881 Derby England
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: US census look-up 1900/1910
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 05 00:08 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find them on Ellis Island.  If they came into NY, they probably went through Ellis Island.
Here is the website to search-

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Yes I have with no luck. I found their son there but not them.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

drakes

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
do you have any additional dates/information  - Margaret' s name after she remarried? NY newspapers archives has several William Hope in obits, etc.

drakes

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:56 BST (UK) »
I understand that she was in New York in 1917 and that she was said to be  an actress. I am afraid that is all. I was hoping she would be in the  census under the name of Hope - straw clutching probably :) The story is that as an actress she travelled a lot which is why her son was in a boarding school. She could be anywhere >:( I just thought i would try and rule out New York if nothing else.
Oh, her husband William Ernest Hope was a printer by trade.