Author Topic: John Smyth, Dublin, born 25/4/1882  (Read 7702 times)

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Smyth, Dublin, born 25/4/1882
« on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this, and don't really know where to start.

I'm looking for any information on John Smyth, son of Peter and brother of Patrick. I have very little information, he may have worked as a barber, and later on the railway. He may have spent some time in Dan Laoghaire, but had left Ireland by 1911.

I am looking for any birth information, he was a roman catholic, or any information on his parents or siblings.

Any help or information would be much appreciated. :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Smyth, Dublin, born 25/4/1882
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Another detail that might be useful would be his father's occupation. This is generally shown on marriage certs. Do you know who/where/when he married ?

Any idea of what part of Dublin John was born ? .. i.e. City, Suburbs, north or south county......

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
John was married in England in 1916, the marriage certificate says that his father Peter Smyth had been a Railway Foreman, but it also says that Peter Smyth was deceased in 1916.

I don't know where they lived in Dublin, except that Peter married again, after John's mother died, and John and Patrick did not live with the second family.

The only other thing I know is that he was a member of the Archconfraternity of the Holy Family in Dublin.

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I meant to add that he was from the City of Dublin.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Had a look at 1901 and 1911 census but nothing jumps out.

http://www.irishconfraternities.ie/view_confraternity.php?id=27
http://www.irishconfraternities.ie/view_confraternity.php?id=27&tab=locations

Only one branch in Dublin:Halston Street And Arran Quay Founded    Dublin   1878

Might be worth contacting them to see if membership lists have survived and are in the archive in Maynooth University.

Lots of interesting stuff on this site about confraternities.

Have you the name of Peter Smyth's wifes second husband? PM

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
Have you found John and/or Peter on the 1901/1911 Irish Census ?

If John was born in the City of Dublin then the two likely registration districts are Dublin North and  Dublin South - but note that these also cover areas outside the city. Assuming the year of birth is accurate then these are the possible matches on the BMD Index :

Name: John Joseph Smith
  Registration District:   Dublin North
  Event Type: Birth
  Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1882
  Volume: 2 / Page: 511

Name: John Laurence Smith
  Registration District:   Dublin North
  Quarter and Year: Apr-Jun 1882
  Volume: 2 / Page: 547

Name: John Smith
  Registration District:   Dublin South
  Volume: 2 / Page: 663

Name: John Harold Smythe
  Registration District:   Dublin South
  Volume: 2 / page : 674

Note that years of birth reported in later records are not always accurate... so you may need to allow a couple of years either way when searching...

You can also check RC baptism records for many parishes in Dublin City on www.irishgenealogy.ie  I dont see any sign of a John Smyth with father Peter during 1882, but further records are due later in the year

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
the only RC Smith/Smyth family with father Peter I've located on the IrishGenealogy records is this one on Basin Lane, RC Parish of St. James - see link

No sign of John , but children Margaret, Mary and George born between 1876 and 1881 to parents Peter Smith and Catherine Grady.  Might be worth keeping a note of...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply pastmagic.
- I tried to get information on the Archconfraternity and was told that there were a few branches of the confraternity in the city of Dublin parishes. These included St Paul's, Arran Quay, St Catherine's, Meath Street, St Michan's, Halston Street and St Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street.   But I could not find any membership information. I think I may have been unclear about the two marriages, Peter Smyth's first marriage was to the mother of John Smyth and Patrick Smyth and ended when his wife died, I'm afraid I don't know her name. He then remarried, but I have no information about the second wife or whether he had a second family.

Thanks Shane for your reply.
- I cannot find either Peter Smyth or John Smyth on either census, but I believe that they were both in Dublin in 1901. (I think that John was in England in 1911). I have had a look at the family in Basin Lane lane on your link, the birth dates are younger than John, rather than older which is not what I expected as I understood that John was a child of Peter's first marriage, but if it is the only Peter it is worth keeping a note of.

Thanks again

Alex :)

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to cross reference the information above.

Can anyone tell me whether the following parishes (above) are in Dublin South or Dublin North - St Paul's, St Catherines, St Michans and St Nicholas of Myra?

I was also wondering how I might tie these parishes into the areas on the 1901 census, as I am still drawing a blank on that.

I also read that parish registers for all the above parishes are available at the National Library of Ireland. Is there any online information for these or is a visit necessary?

Thanks