Author Topic: Taghmon and WhiteChurch Graveyard  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taghmon and WhiteChurch Graveyard
« on: Monday 25 July 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi! Im wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not the Whitechurch Graveyard is Church of Ireland or Roman Catholic? Also my Great Grandparents married in "the Chapel of Taghmon" (as per marraige Cert), i looked up the chapel on the internet and it comes back saying it was church of ireland, but on census returns and other Certificates such as my late Garndfathers Birth Cert they are listed as being Roman Catholic..... Now im Confused and Curious

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Taghmon and WhiteChurch Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Whitechurch graveyard in Glynn (adjoining parish to Taghmon) is Catholic, Whitechurch near New Ross is Church of Ireland. There is both a Catholic Church (St Fintan's), and a Church of Ireland (St Munn's) in Taghmon.

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! Unsure which Graveyard they are buried in, will have to ask an aunt again where exactly the graveyard was and from that i will know...hopefully!

Offline ConJPower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Conas atá tú ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Whitechurch graveyard in Glynn (adjoining parish to Taghmon) is Catholic, Whitechurch near New Ross is Church of Ireland. There is both a Catholic Church (St Fintan's), and a Church of Ireland (St Munn's) in Taghmon.

also, there are catholics buried in the whitechurch church of ireland graveyard - the one outside new ross.
Power, Furlong, Breen, Wyse, Roche, Prendergast, Murphy {Wexford}.
Fagan, Warde, Kearney {Kildare/Dublin}.
Rickard, Hoy, Sheridan {Dublin}.
Sullivan, Lee, Cronin, Blows {London}

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:42 BST (UK) »
This may be an old thread, but it may be useful to make some additions.

The Catholic/Protestant dichotomy with regard to old graveyards does not represent reality. I really wish genealogical guides would not use this classification as it can be very misleading.

The reality is that almost all pre-reformation graveyards in Ireland are mixed.  They were so for two reasons:
- First, they were consecrated as Catholic burial grounds, and so continue to this day, whatever the legal ownership of the land. That being so, Catholics could continue to be buried there.
- Second, there were no other burial options in the period  from the 1530s to the 1790s, when the Catholic church was an illegal organization.

As for Whitechurch, it is a a very old pre-reformation graveyard, on the site of the medieval parish church. Whitechurch received its name from the unusual white stones used to construct its walls. The graveyard was very congested and for a long time was closed to all but interments in existing family plots, but has more recently (1990s?) been extended, and is now once again "open for business" and accepting new long-term residents.

I found this old tread because I believe today is the historic pattern day for Whitechurch, when family graves were dressed. I went on those patterns in the 1960s as one of my Brennan families is buried there.

The graveyard took on a progressively Catholic aspect in the 20th century when some adjoining land was used to construct (at different times) a Calvary, surrounded by some of the white stones from the walls of the original church, a pulpit, and a Lourdes grotto. In any case, the residents are overwhelmingly, if not entirely, Catholic.

Whitechurch graveyard is located in Wilkinstown townland, in the Catholic parish of Glynn. It is close to the border with the Catholic parish of Taghmon, and had many "clients" from that area also.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:54 BST (UK) »
Also my Great Grandparents married in "the Chapel of Taghmon" (as per marraige Cert),

First, the marriage certificate should clearly state or give a way to tell the denomination.

Second, the "chapel of Taghmon" says it was a Catholic marriage -  or at least not the established church. Only the established church had "churches", all others - even if cathedrals! - were merely "chapels"
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area