Author Topic: Millikens of Ravara  (Read 3894 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Millikens of Ravara
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 July 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Gary who started this thread was last online in March 2011 so hopefully he'll be back to have a look at your message soon.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Milikkan and Aghadowey
As it happens I have been rather distracted by current family affiars ::)  recently and haven't had much time to look at Milliken researching but am back from holiday and hopefully will get back to it.   In the interim my laptop has died which had many of my notes on it, hopefully I have them backed up properly.
Will be back in touch soon when I get myself together.
Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline milikkan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 August 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Gary,
William James son of James of Ravara became a teacher and eventually principal of a school near Carlisle Circus in Belfast. He lived to a good age with two of his daughters his wife and a son , Anna Amelia, Lucinda Sarah, Sarah nee Wright and Samuel Edmund from whom we are descended in a still existing house, of which there are not many, on Cliftonpark Avenue Belfast. I think he died around 1910 although I am not sure about that.
I was very intrigued to hear about the old homestead carried on by a John who passed it to his daughters. Could it still exist? How could I find it? Is it still on an Ordinance Survey map.
Have you found your link to a Milliken branch of the family.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Rgs. Milikkan.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 August 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
For reference here's the Milliken family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Clifton_Park_Avenue/144916

William James Milliken actually died in 1909- see www.proni.gov.uk- Will covers 4 pages and I didn't read it all but mentions son Samuel (Trustee), wife, daughter Essie Mrs. Patterson to take charge of my daughter Anna Amelia Milliken her sister to live with her "during the remainder of her appraently short life"...
"Probate of the Will and Codicil of William James Milliken late of 128 Clifton Park Avenue Belfast Natinal School Teacher (Retired) who died 30 July 1909 granted at Belfast to Francis Curley Merchant High Sheriff of Belfast John Cunningham McClung Manager and Samuel Milliken Secretary."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Milikkan
Please bear with me and I shall get the story for you.  Yes, I found the homestead and the final residence of the family near Saintfield.  Unfortunately all the information is on another pc which I have to get working again.  I have pictures and a bit more information for you.
Will speak to you soon.
Gary

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Millikkan
Found lots of old notes and will send you an e-mail with directions to the old house. 
I refer you back to my message of 21 Feb 06 for a summary of what happened to the family around Saintfield.  You might also check out the family grave at the 2nd Presbyterian Church in Saintfield with the gravestone dedicated to his parents by William James.  It is easy to find, just enter the front gate of the church and turn to your right and the Milliken grave is the large railed enclosure that occupies the corner.
Since that time I have made contact with two guys who are related to this family and I shall try to contact them.  William James had an older brother called Thomas Shephard Milliken, he left the farm and established himself first in Holywood and then in Belfast where he became Manager of the Irish Times.  He eventually died in 1903.  It is two of his great grandsons that I know.
Speak to you soon.
Gary