Author Topic: Briggs - Robert, Helena & Jacob  (Read 2510 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Briggs - Robert, Helena & Jacob
« on: Friday 29 July 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Wondered if someone could help. Family legend says that Robert Briggs emigrated to Canada but I don't know when except that it must have been after 1911 as I've just tracked him down on the English census.I have Robert on the 1881 - 1911 census in Durham, England and he was a miner.
Details I have are Robert Briggs 18.2.1873 born Durham - Haswell or Easington Colliery, married Helena Burdon ( aka Helen Hall Briggs on 1911. Known in the family as Nellie.
Son Jacob born April May June 1909 Durham Browney Colliery. There is also a possibility that it is Jacob known as Jake who  emigrated.
I haven't been able to find suitable death entries for either Robert or Helena which would give credence to the emigration story.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
North East of England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Briggs - Robert, Helena & Jacob
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
Jacob Briggs born 1909 and aged 20 years. Travels Liverpool England to Montreal. Quebec arriving 6 July 1929 on SS Doric.

Place of birth Browney Colliery. Miner. Wanted to follow the trade in farming in Canada. Father Mr Robert Briggs. 14 Middle Street. Browney Colliery. Durham.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Candleflame,

Just to try & explain that there are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  The last available Canadian Census was 1911 apart from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta which was 1916.  As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 80 years ago and deaths 70 years ago. Trying to trace modern day families in Canada you depend on newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories etc.,

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Could this be a possibility :-

There is a death - Robert Briggs - Born about 1873,Age 92 years Died Q1 (Jan/Feb/March) 1965 Durham

Volume:   1a - Page:   456

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Helena H Briggs. Born about 1875 and aged 80 years,.

Date of Registration:   Jul-Aug-Sep 1955 - Durham - 1 a 202

Sandra

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 11 04:04 BST (UK) »
Jacob's destination was to a government office in Edmonton, Alberta.  Possible death in British Columbia.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eg1/

Debbie

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
WOW such speed. Thank you so much. Thanks for the explanation of the Canadian system Sandra as that is helpful too.
Those deaths for the parents look very likely and I should have considered searching for newer years but they are much more modern than I had ever dreamed. 92 is a brilliant age and I wonder why the family last touch unless they did believe that Robert and Helena had indeed gone to Canada.
Can I ask what cosmac neans by Jacobs destination was to a government office in Edmonton- does that simply mean that's where he would go to try and get work in the farming field that he wanted?
Thanks again
North East of England

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
Jacob paid passage himself.  He was not entering Canada under the Empire Settlement or being aided in his immigration by any other society.  Passenger lists gave a Canadian contact which could be an employer, relative, friend, government agency, etc.  Jacob listed "Government Labour Bureau Edmonton, Alta".  Guessing but most likely an agency responsible for placing farm workers.  Where Jacob ended up would be difficult to say.  Not many resources online in Alberta.  You can try this site to see if any of the newspapers or directories show him.  If he did go to work on a farm the directories are probably not of use.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abwcobit/index.htm

Debbie

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks cosmac- again very helpful information.
North East of England