Author Topic: BUTTON of Furneux Pelham  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUTTON of Furneux Pelham
« on: Sunday 31 July 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Sarah nee Button, Aylott b.1800 has as her birthplace on the 1861 and 1871 census Furneux Pelham as her place of birth.  She married George Aylott on 28th April 1823 at Albury, Herts.  Trying to find her place of birth/parents/siblings.  Does anyone know of this Button family? Thankyou.
Oxon - Stevens, Bunce, Mobbs, Creek, Hoare,Bates, Austin, Crawford, Richardson, Paxford
Bucks - Stevens, Claydon, Bunce,
Lincs - Twell, Harris, Bilson, Cumberworth, Cooper, Langton, Healey, Twelve(s)
Herefordshire - Gunter, Merry, Tylor
Essex - Underwood, Cant, Finch, Smyth, Frances alias Puckle
Hertfordshire - Clarke, Parker, Francis, Wallace, Aylott, Nottage
Beds - Covington, Bennett, Clark, Carter
Ireland - Manning

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Button of Furneux Pelham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't found them in 1851 -  they are incorrectly indexed as Aycall and Sarah's place of birth is the same as 1861/71

HO107 Piece 1706 Folio 574 Page 14
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, I have spent many hours trying to find this family in the 1851 census to find where they were, particularly as I have wanted to see where their daughter was before her July 1851 marriage.
Oxon - Stevens, Bunce, Mobbs, Creek, Hoare,Bates, Austin, Crawford, Richardson, Paxford
Ireland - Manning

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Which daughter are you looking for in 1851?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
I had found her already married to George Parker but had not been able to trace them on the 1851 census.  They appear as Pauker on Ancestry transcription.  Susan nee Aylott b. 1832 at Albury married George Parker b.1829 Berden/Manuden, Essex and on the census their first son, John is listed.  The family are with Susan's parents following on in the census. Would not have found either without your pointer, thankyou
Ireland - Manning

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BUTTON of Furneux Pelham
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Just read your post.  Oh what a coincidence.  Hubby's roots are in Albury and the name Aylott is familiar although not connected.  And then Button, my gt gt grandfather or was it x3.  Anyway, my Button was born in Clavering which is only a stones throw from Furneux but in Essex.  However, the name seems to have gone from Button to Burton at some stage.  I have some Clavering parish records somewhere.  I will look them out later.

Oh and the Aylotts of Albury.  Are you aware that some of them were bounty immigrants to Oz.

Hope this might help
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline Opal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 September 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, I have been looking for some light on Sarah Button for sometime as I only had the census birthplace to go on.  Searched the IGI and other sites with no answers.  Have wondered if the marriage cert. might give further clues so might have to invest!
My Aylott is Susan b.1832 Albury.  Her parents were George Aylott b.1798 Albury and Sarah Button.  Susan married George Parker b.1829 Berden/Manuden, Essex on 13th July 1850 at Bishops Stortford. George Parker ends his working life as the Farm Bailiff at Upwick Hall, Albury.
As I have Oxfordshire relationships I treated myself to the CD's of the relevant Parish Registers and have found that so simple to track whereas for Hertfordshire I rely on the IGI, census and those records on Ancestry etc.
No, I didn't know about the OZ connection.  The other thing I find with the Aylott's are the variety of the surname's spellings and the seemingly constant use of the same Christian names for all the Aylott families.
Ireland - Manning

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Sadly most of Essex not on the IGI so if your Sarah was born just over the Herts border into Essex then you have a problem.  The only Sarah I can find on my Clavering list is born 1804 dau of Thomas Button and Hannah Strange.  This would make her my 3 x gt grandfather's sister.

On the Aylott immigration front, looked up on my doc file to see if I had any details but all I could find was Aylott family immigrated 1856 on the Robert Small.  As Ancestry are kindly letting me access these records til midnight tonite I thought I would take a look.  And what a surprise I got. 

My interest in Albury is the Hutchin family but with a group of other researchers we have detoured in various directions.  So we had come across the fact that the Aylott family and the Kinsley family had gone to Oz.  Tried to research it further wanting really to know if there was any contact between the two once in Oz but all I could establish was that they settled in the same area.  The Aylott family were on the Robert Small, 26 May 1856 - James 37, Ann 25, Sarah 2 and John inft - and low and behold against Ann is the note that she had an uncle living in Oz by the name of James Kinsley at Balmain which was the area I was researching.  So, bingo, I now have the answer to my question also.

If James connects into your Aylotts, his parents are quoted as Thomas and Sarah and Ann's as James and Matilda Beauchamp.

Might help with your wider research.

LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 September 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Meant to say, no use applying for a marriage certificate.  Marriage was prior to 1837.  Albury parish records at HALS in Hertford.