Author Topic: Hugeunot ancestor??  (Read 1827 times)

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hugeunot ancestor??
« on: Wednesday 03 August 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help or offer a suggestion, I have a 5 times G Grandfather who lived in London His name was Richard Hannam b abt 1740 and he married an Elizabeth  ??? in about 1757 as their first child was born in 1758. They had 7 children in all. they were all christened in St James Westminster.

One of these children had the second christian name "DELME" which suggests that it may be the mothers maiden name or similar. I am wondering if this could be a French Huguenot name but I do not know how to find out. Help please. The child's full name was John Delme Hannam b late 1764 and baptised 27 Jan 1765

Thanks in advance
Hannam in London, Nottinghamshire and Sheffield
Collins in Staffordshire
Brackenbury, Gurnell and Willson in Lincolnshire and now Nottinghamshire
Marples in Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Heginbotham in Derbyshire

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Hugeunot ancestor??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
On line gives John Delme Hannam born 27/1/1765 bapt. 17/2/1765 Westminster

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's where I got the original info from but I am unable to find anything further about John or his parents marriage.
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you seen what looks to be Elizabeth's Prerogative Court of Canterbury will?

Will of Elizabeth Hannam, Widow of Saint John the Evangelist Westminster , Middlesex
04 January 1772
PROB 11/974

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

If they married circa 1757 and Richard Hannam was born circa 1740 he would have been only 17 at the time of his marriage which would be very young for someone to be able to earn sufficient for a wife and children. Apprenticeships for instance usually ran from age 14 to 21 before an adult male earned a wage sufficient to support a family.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know that it would necessarily be a Huguenot name, although probably French.

I live in Hitchin and there was once a wealthy family here, called the Delme-Radcliffes.  Delme has an acute accent on the final e.  The earliest member of the family is Peter Delme who was born before 1742 but I don't know any more than that about him.

http://genealogy.links.org/links-cgi/lineage?/home/ben/camilla-genealogy/current+c-delm87752+0+2-2-0-1-0

It might be your chap is related to them.  Or he might be named after the surname of a godparent.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 August 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for the info.

Valda Richard Hannam's birth is only an estimate he could have been born ten years earlier. I have got a copy of Elizabeth's Will but the writing is very dificult to read.

Jeuel  If Elizabeth came from that family she would have to have been Peter Delme's sister or earlier and as regards the name being French it could well be, but I have found no other connections to France, that is to say Yet!

Thanks again
Collins in Staffordshire

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 August 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
The Delme's were relatively early and influential members of the French Huguenot community in England. Adrian de le Me was the first of the family to come to England. He was born in 1549 in Nomeny,  France,  to Michiel de le Me. By the age of 31 in 1580, he had fled France's religious wars and was a deacon of the Walloon and French Church in Norwich. His son Philippe De le Me, (later Sir Philip Delme) was born there in 1588. He was left a bible in his fathers will aged 15, and as a result went to study philosophy in Leyden, Holland, becoming the reverend of the Wallon and Huguenot church in Canterbury on his return. Several of his children and grandchildren went to London in the mid 1600's, and used the Huguenot church Threadneedle Street, including his son Peter Delme, a succesful merchant. His grandson Sir Peter Delme was a director of the Bank of England, sheriff of London in 1717, and Lord Mayor of London in 1723. They are the probable source of most the Delme's in London.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline brianz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 August 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Richard
                        I have looked at them but cannot find an Elizabeth that fits.
Collins in Staffordshire