Author Topic: Campton PR's look up Completed with much thanks  (Read 8727 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Campton PR's look up Completed with much thanks
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 08:19 GMT (UK) »
You might need to read through any relevant wills to find a connection. I will have another look at the Bentham wills, leaving you to look at any Redman or Bury wills.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. As well, as I mentioned before, there is a pleading in the Nat'l Archives Kew entitled Redman v Bury that I want to order soon. As I already have an order in and no reply as yet for another Redman record I will wait until the first order is completed.

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I did not notice before but Abraham Redman is listed as a bachelor at the time of his marriage in 1630 to spinster Sara Balthrop--so Richard Redman who was kin to the Bentham family and who d. 1647 was very likely not the son of Abraham Redman, draper, who died in 1636. The son Richard of this Abraham Redman would be at most 6 years old at the death of his father in 1636. If this Richard were identical to the one that dies leaving a wife in 1647 he would have been, at most, age 17 at the time of his passing. Do you have any further insights? This is the transcription of the marriage record:
"Dec. 16
1630 Thomas Axtell of Christ Church, London, grocer, allegeth that Abraham Redman of the same parish, draper, bachelor, aged 44, intendeth to marry Sara Balthrop of the same parish, spinster, aged 26, at her own disposing, her father deceased; at St. Matthew Friday Street."

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't take it as gospel, especially given the age difference. At this stage, perhaps rule him out temporarily, until you can find some further proof either way.
Concentrate on the Richard Redman of the 1647 will, and the names and places associated with him. This Richard could still be related to Abraham, just not as we think.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 March 16 00:31 GMT (UK) »
What follows is pure supposition at this point, but it is certainly worth following up in my opinion.
On the public trees on Ancestry, I found a tree with a Richard Redman b. c.1588 in Thornton in Lonsdale in Yorkshire; there is a corresponding baptism on familysearch. He was the son of Nicholas Redman and wife Margaret, according to the public tree.
Doing a search on familysearch for any Bryan Bentham's in Yorkshire, I found a plausible connection with a Bryan Bentham baptised in 1561 in Horton in Ribblesdale, probably 10 km from Thornton in Lonsdale. This Bryan was the son of William Bentham. Interestingly, a William Bentham had a daughter Margaret baptised in 1562 in the same parish. More interesting, a Bryan Bentham had a son Francis baptised in 1600.
Could this be your Richard Redman? Could he have gone to London from Yorkshire? The names match up if I am correct in my theory. Bryan Bentham would have been a maternal uncle in this case, and Francis a cousin.

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 March 16 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Your supposition is plausible and I appreciate the additional information. I am more concentrated at this point on Abraham Redman who I thought might be the father of Richard who d. 1647. Now that it seems less likely that there is a close relationship I have to set my investigation of Richard and his Bentham relatives aside. I don't expect you to find this particularly interesting for your own research going forward but I am trying to establish a connection between my certain ancestor named John Redman (b. abt 1623) who died in 1673 in Westmoreland Co., VA and a John Redman who was a London merchant, age 46, who came to VA on The Globe in 1635. On The Globe passenger list next to John Redman is Thomas Axtell age 35. Thomas Axtell, grocer of Christ Church, was the name of the person who alleged the wedding intentions of Abraham Redman & Sara Balthrop in 1630. Not certain if this is a coincidence or a connection. At any rate, I very much thank you for your helpfulness and insight.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 March 16 04:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a will for an Elizabeth Redman, widow, in the London wills on Ancestry who named a daughter Ann Smith, who was living in Virginia; I couldn't make out the name because I am unfamiliar with American place names. I had taken note of it, given where you are from.

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 March 16 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I'll try to find it.