Author Topic: Burial for Martha Wells circa 1773 please.  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for Martha Wells circa 1773 please.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,

Thankyou for your last two replies.

I am descended from Thomas and Martha`s son John Wells who married Ann Vale on 1st December 1784 in Ullesthorpe.

Steve
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 12 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, 
This Martha is the daughter of John Foxon.  She is named as his daughter Martha Wells (and is his executrix) in his will made in 1767.  I can't send you a copy of the will as that would be breaking copyright, but I can give you the basic information from it. John Foxon, weaver of Ullesthorpe. My dwelling house in Ullesthorpe now in the occupation of my son Joshua Foxon bequeathed to Joshua during his life.  After Joshua's death, this property to go to my daughters Ann Wigley and Ann Harris as tenants in common. The dwelling house in Ullesthorpe wherein I now dwell to my daughter Martha Wells, she paying to my grandaughter Martha Benford 5 pounds at 21 years. An annuity to Joshua Foxon of 4 pounds a year. Daughter Elizabeth Harris 5 pounds. Daughter Ann Wigley 10 pounds [Rents] from my land in Ullesthorpe called Biglands Close now in my own occupation to Joshua. Martha Wells gets rest of goods. John Foxon signs.  This will came from the LRO.
Carolyn

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 12 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, that should be Elizabeth Harris, not Ann Harris.  I think John is the son of another John Foxon, whose will dated 1748 I also have, though he does not mention a son John in it.  The Wells family also appear in poor law records for Ullesthorpe, which I looked at a few years ago when we came over to England.  Are you able to get to the Leicestershire Record Office?
Carolyn

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I don't know if this is of any help but my 3x Grandfather was Edward Wells born 1830 his father was Joshua F Wells born 1800. his occupation was Frame work knitter. Angela.

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,
I assume this is Joshua Foxon Wells, baptized to John Wells in Lutterworth Independent but living in Ullesthorpe?
Carolyn

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, 
This Martha is the daughter of John Foxon.  She is named as his daughter Martha Wells (and is his executrix) in his will made in 1767.  I can't send you a copy of the will as that would be breaking copyright, but I can give you the basic information from it. John Foxon, weaver of Ullesthorpe. My dwelling house in Ullesthorpe now in the occupation of my son Joshua Foxon bequeathed to Joshua during his life.  After Joshua's death, this property to go to my daughters Ann Wigley and Ann Harris as tenants in common. The dwelling house in Ullesthorpe wherein I now dwell to my daughter Martha Wells, she paying to my grandaughter Martha Benford 5 pounds at 21 years. An annuity to Joshua Foxon of 4 pounds a year. Daughter Elizabeth Harris 5 pounds. Daughter Ann Wigley 10 pounds [Rents] from my land in Ullesthorpe called Biglands Close now in my own occupation to Joshua. Martha Wells gets rest of goods. John Foxon signs.  This will came from the LRO.
Carolyn
Sorry, that should be Elizabeth Harris, not Ann Harris.  I think John is the son of another John Foxon, whose will dated 1748 I also have, though he does not mention a son John in it.  The Wells family also appear in poor law records for Ullesthorpe, which I looked at a few years ago when we came over to England.  Are you able to get to the Leicestershire Record Office?
Carolyn

Thankyou very much Carolyn for your replies and the information you give.

I am hoping to visit Leicester later this year ( I live around 80 miles away ) and depending on time I was hoping to carry out some research at the LRO.

Hello, I don't know if this is of any help but my 2x Grandfather was Edward Wells born 1830 his father was Joshua F Wells born 1800. his occupation was Frame work knitter. Angela.

Thankyou very much for your reply Angela.

I am descended from Edward`s brother Henry Wells born 1847.

Steve

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
We are related then. I assume you have the census records.
Angela.

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,
I assume this is Joshua Foxon Wells, baptized to John Wells in Lutterworth Independent but living in Ullesthorpe?
Carolyn
Hello Carolyn
I don't know any thing about Joshua F Wells only that my 3x Great Grandfather was Edward Wells born 1830 to Elizabeth and Joshua in Leicester. They had 8 children in 1841. Thank you. Angela.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
We are related then. I assume you have the census records.
Angela.

I`ve got the census returns for Henry Wells upto his death in 1894.

Steve