Author Topic: Wright Pickford,b. 1791, Glossop  (Read 1346 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Wright Pickford,b. 1791, Glossop
« on: Monday 08 August 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details on the above re his Glossop connection that i found on The Lancs Parish Site, at the wedding, 20 May 1815, entry, 651, he his described as a batchelor farmer from Glossop, one of the witnesses was a Edward Pickford, i assume he was some relation
in the wedding description the wedding was by license not banns, what did that mean ?
                       Thank You bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Pickford,b. 1791, Glossop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 00:21 BST (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_licenc

Licences had to be paid for. They were most often used where the marriage was hurried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banns_of_marriage
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Maybe the Glossop connection is  misleading ?, note that the wedding describes him as a farmer from Glossop, not born in Glossop !!,
What we know,
Wright married in Manchester, their first two children, Edward 1818,& Betsy 1819, were born in Glossop, note their mother is shown as Helen not Ellen

In the will of Edward Pickford dated 1818, Glossop,posted by contributor" Simes", Edward Pickford mentions his wife Anne, and children, Wright, Sarah, (married to Abel Winterbottom), Samuel, Susannah, Hannah.

Edward is shown dying on Glossop records 3 July, 1818, aged 64, this gives his birth around 1754 .

So all we know is that a Edward Pickford, b. c 1754, married a Ann ?, and had the 5 children shown above, no dates or places, other than the marriage probably took place around 1774 /1780,
Was Ann his original wife ?

Can anyone find a family that would fit ?
                          bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Pickford,b. 1791, Glossop COMPLETE
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Mystery solved, Edward married twice,
1 Elizabeth Bower, nee Hyde,  14 Jan. 1783,
2 Anne Jackson, 12 July , 1801
                                 Thank You bodger

Offline Simes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger,
I was looking at the will again today and noticed a transcription error. I had thought Edward had a daughter called Susannah. I coudn't find any LDS baptism records for 'Susannah' like I could for all the other children so decided to recheck the will. Lo and behold 'Susannah' is in fact 'Hannah'... Should have spotted that before! Apologies.  :D
Cheers
Simon
Pickford - Denton
Leigh - Tockholes, Blackburn, Denton
Maloney - Mountrath, Co Laois (Queens)
Lowcock - Blackburn, Salford, South Manchester

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 11 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Simes, thank you for the clarification, bodger