Author Topic: James Sweeney 1852c Ramelton Dryal Kiland  (Read 5548 times)

Offline The Time Traveller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Sweeney 1852c Ramelton Dryal Kiland
« on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was James Sweeney born 1852 (according to the census) Ramelton Dryal Kiland
James's father was Edward Sweeney, a Flax Dresser
He married Grace Spry on the 6th February 1876 at the Parish Church, Plymouth, his age shown on the marriage certificate is 21 (yob 1855) and died 31st July 1908, age 54 in Plymouth.

I have been unable to find the name of his mother and any siblings, my cousin told me of a much loved sister Marjory/Marjorie but I have hit a brick wall and got no further with my Sweeney's in the family tree.

James and Grace's children are Margaret Sweeney 1878, b. Isle of White. Thomas C. Sweeney b.1881 Plymouth d. 1881, Edgar 1887, Plymouth, Lily b.1889 Plymouth.

I'd love to know more about my Donegal Sweeney's if anyone knows anything I would be very appreciative.

Thank you

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Sweeney 1852c Ramelton Dryal Kiland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Can't help you with mothers name, don't see a suitable marriage record for father Edward, there was an Edward Sweeney married 1846 Co. Donegal to a  Catherine, Church wedding on the Roots Ireland site, but I have been unable to narrow this marriage down to a Parish, so its a stab in the dark!

There was also an Edward Sweeney who appears in the Griffith Valuation for the town of Remelton in 1858, Parish of Aughnish, Hes the only Edward Sweeney in the Parish so may be worth investigating, link below:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=27&Submit.y=12&Submit=Submit&familyname=sweeney&firstname=edward&baronyname=&countyname=DONEGAL&unionname=&parishname=
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much joemc for replying and looking into the Sweeney's for me,  I have also been searching for "Dryal Kiland" but have not found any references to the name.

I will investigate further with the lead you kindly provided. Many thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Sweeney 1852c Ramelton Donegal, Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
I think the 1901 census actually has Ramelton, Donegal, Ireland

Reference :  RG13  / Piece 2101 / Folio 74 / Page 36

Shane

English Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tomby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
not sure if this is of any use but there is a Margery Sweeney who married a Michael McBride listed in the 1901, 1911 census  townland Crathlagh, Tullyfern.
Parish of Tullyfern is beside Aughnish parish. see links below

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1901cratlaght.htm

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Milford/Cratlagh/1192466/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Millford/Cratlagh/502308/

tomby
Elliott Co.Derry, Ward Co.Derry, Quin Co.Down, Shanagher Co Roscommon,
Toner Co Donegal,

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
shanew147, no wonder I could not find anything on Dryal Kiland ! I can now see it says Donegal, Ireland, thank you for pointing out to me.

tomby, I will have a look at the Margery Sweeney lead, you have all been very helpful, up till now I haven't been able to find anything out about greatgrandad James's family.

benidormgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, well I posted this some time ago, thank you for help. Last year I had my DNA done and it has helped me find out more about the family and linked me with James's siblings. I haven't gone back further but found that the family moved from Ramalton, Donegal (now Rathmelton) to Londonderry.

Also James was a boy 1st class in 1871 on HMS Warrior in Plymouth, and in 1877 he was a Gunner, Royal Artillery, I don't think I will find records from the time he was in Donegal to Plymouth but very pleased with the research results.

T.T.T x

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The RC parish records for Ramelton only start in 1873, so sadly you are unlikely to find James baptism or  any siblings or his parents marriage.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 November 22 22:45 GMT (UK) »
shanew147, no wonder I could not find anything on Dryal Kiland ! I can now see it says Donegal, Ireland, thank you for pointing out to me.

tomby, I will have a look at the Margery Sweeney lead, you have all been very helpful, up till now I haven't been able to find anything out about greatgrandad James's family.