Author Topic: Timoteo Barella marries Jane Humphreys in 1860  (Read 16828 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Timoteo Barella marries Jane Humphreys in 1860
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Parish Records 1860 Carlisle

Looking for the marriage details of Timoteo Barella's marriage to Jane Humphreys within the Carlisle R.D in the June qtr of 1860...I need to Know Timoteo's father's name in the hope I can connect him to Pietro Barella in Holborn, London

Thanks
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Timoteo Barella marries Jane Humphreys in 1860
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant

http://shrinkalink.com/46029
Says his father was Joseph BARELLA. b abt 1800.

In the 1871 Census in Durham, "Timothy", a widower,  has an Aunt, Appolina BARELLA widow, age 63 in the household - she was born Hexham, Northumberland.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/18611/pages/1717/page.pdf
1829 - a partnership was dissolved between: Angel MOLLENI,  Clement BARELLA, Joseph BARELLA who had carried on a business at 169 PilgrimSt, Newcastle on Tyne, Dealers in Sheffield Cutlery, London Toys, Jewellrey, Gilt & Steel Toys...

Timothy BARELLA, widower late of Silver St, Durham -  died 8 March 1874 at Germasini, Italy. Probate granted 10 March 1883 in Durham, to his son Clement BARELLA of 33 Glebe St, Sunderland.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant

I can concur that Timoteo's father was Giuseppe Barella born 19th August 1797 in Como, Lombardia.  He had a brother called Giovanni born 1800.
Their father was called Giovanni Battista Barelli born 1773.
There may have been more than these 2 children but I cant find them at the moment.

Do you know your Pietro's parents,  Grandparents??

Dont know if you know but Jane Humphries was born in Sunderland
but lived as a stepdaughter in Wigton, Cumbria where my family come
from. Thats why they were married in Carlisle which is the next big town to it.

Hope this helps

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Thankyou AMBLY for the info on the death of Timoteo and the dissolvement of the business.....so the Barella's were around in 1829!

Thankyou Sandymac for the father of Timoteo and his brother and there father, I don't know if they are connected to Pietro but I have built Timoteo's tree just in case!

Domenico (Dominic) Barella was Pietro's father, I only ordered the marriage cert of Pietro Barella & Susan Williams in 1859 a couple of days ago but iv'e been informed that Domenico Barella is Pietro's father.

Within the Holborn R.D in 1861 their are 3 Barella's all of which come from Italy (one from Como, Italy) and they are all Looking glass makers or looking glass frame makers
49 Hatton Gardens, Saffron Hill Liberty, Holborn
Rodolfo Barella aged 23 Como, Italy
-----
14 Cross Street, Saffron Hill Liberty, Holborn
Antonio Barella aged 21 Italy
------
21 Gough Street, St Pancras
Pietro Barella aged 23 Italy
and
And here he is with his wife Susan living with among others a Williams family in the same 1861 census, are they Susan's family?

1861 census
6 Eyre Street, St Andrew Holborn, London, Middlesex
Pietro Borrello.................Head.........23...........P Frame Maker...........................Italy
Susan........".....................Wife..........20...............................................................St Andrew, Middlesex
-------------

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant

I am looking at the copy of the church ledger of the wedding and it does say that Dominico is the Father of Pietro but it says he is a Farmer but Pietro is a Frame maker.
Just wondered if the scribe wrote it wrong? Susans father Joss Williams is deceased but is classed as a shoemaker. They were married on 11th December 1859 at
St Phillip, Clerkenwell.
I did find a  Domenico Barella in Como who died in 1866. Also a
Giovanni Domenico Barella who married Maria Margherta

They just need putting together.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandymc

I got the marriage cert yesterday

11th Dec 1859 Church of St Philip, Clerkenwell
Pietro Barella of full age, a bachelor, frame maker of 33 Bath Street. Father's name is Dominics Barella a farmer.
Susan Williams of full age, a spinster, of 33 Bath Street. Susan's Father's christian name is not stated but it states he is deceased and he was a shoemaker.
witnesses are Dominics Ricca and a name of about six letters which could be anything?

1861 census
40 Hatton Gardens, Saffron Hill Liberty, Holborn, London, Middx
(one of many at number 40)
Domenico Ricca......servant.....40 married...looking glass frame maker.....Italy
------------

1861 Holborn
Are these three Barella's brothers? as seen in the 1861 census, Pietro, Antonio and Rodolfo.

Their are three Barella's in the 1861 census, all are in Holborn, London and all three are Looking glass makers or looking glass frame makers

6 Eyre Street, Holborn, London & 21 Gough Street, St Pancras, London
Pietro Barella...........................23 picture frame maker....................................Italy
----------------
49 Hatton Gardens, Saffron Hill Liberty, Holborn, London
Rodolfo Barella.......servant.....23 unmarried....looking glass frame maker.................Como, Italy
------------
14 Cross Street, Saffron Hill Liberty, Holborn, London
Antonio Barella.......servant.....21 unmarried....looking glass maker...........................Italy
------------

Bryant

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant

I think this family is connected and related in some way.. Probably share the same Grandparents somewhere.  They all come from Como and even in the 1800's didnt have such a large population. 
It was also strange that a few of the family name came to England about the same time.  Seemingly, in Como area they were being taken over by the Austrian Empire and then the French and then back to the Austrians.  I suppose we will never know exactly why they moved to England but if they were frightened of being killed or all of their goods taken by marauding Governments they probably thought lets go somewhere new. Wondered if they might be Jewish as the Jews were moved from many countries whether they were good or bad!!!At least these lads had a occupation and were glass framers or makers so that went for them and not against them.
My friend always said, "What goes for you doesnt go by you"

regards Sandymc

Offline Joe990

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am new to Rootschat but signed up when this thread appeared on a Google search. 

My grandmother's grandfather was the Timothy Barella that married Jane Humphreys.  Jane was indeed born in Sunderland, the daughter of Thomas Humphreys and Charlotte Rutherford.  Charlotte re-married after Thomas died to a Matthew Rogan in Carlisle.  Matthew Rogan was a travelling merchant.

I have been trying to trace the Italian ancestry of the Barella family so I am very interested in the source of the information on the death of Timothy in Germasino.  It certainly would explain why I have never been able to find a record of his death in the UK.  I also see via the web that an Ambrogio Barella is reputed to have been born 27 Sep 1828 in Gravedonna or Germasino but no sources are quoted.

My research indicates a possible alternative pedigree for Timothy.  In the 1871 census Timothy is residing with his 3 children and his aunt Appolina.  Jane, his wife, had died 19 Feb 1870 from Phthsis Pulmonalis at their home in Durham City.  The aunt was the wife of Clement Barella and they were married in 1852 when she was 44 and he was 47.  The marriage certificate states that Clement's father was also Clement, a farmer.

It is safe to assume that Timothy's father and Clement were brothers.  In his marriage certificate in 1860 Timothy's father is given as Joseph Barella, a jeweller.  My conclusion was therefore that Clement had at least 2 sons, Joseph and Clement.

I realise that this contradicts the lineage of Giovanni Battista given in this thread but maybe there is a generation missing?

Grateful for any response to this message

Regards

Joe990

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 15:24 GMT (UK) »
FRAMER - / -FARMER? Accent problems? Mispelling or misreading problems? Ciao.  bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean