Author Topic: Tansevel  (Read 2763 times)

Offline y2kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tansevel
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 August 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for helping!!

I think Angela has got it - it certainly fits when I add the other bits of info into the puzzle. Not sure about Louisa as a daughter - I do not have any record of her.

The ages fit perfectly and it also fits with the information about his parents. I think that his parents were John Sealy b c.1810 and Ann Runle b c.1812. There is a John and Ann Sealy listed in the public area of the 1871 census from Somerset.  I also think Walter and Eliza had a daughter Eliza and I have found an Eliza Sealy b. c.1869 in Somerset in the public part of the 1871 Welsh census.

I never would have even thought about Llantrisant as being close to Tanseval (but I have never heard a Somerset accent before either - and I don't know how Llantrisant is properly pronounced).

I am hoping that our state library has a copy of the 1871 Wales census - fingers crossed!

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 August 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi y2kay

After your last post I had another look for a marriage for Walter and Eliza and found one! The reference is -

Walter Sealey/Elizabeth Owen JUN 1869 Pontypridd 11a 473

The district of Pontypridd contains Llantrisant so matches with the census. Also Louisa's birth was registered in that district.

I've also had a look for both Walter and Eliza in North Petherton in 1851 but although there are Sealy and Owens families there (living next door!), there's no Walter or Eliza. Can't find either of them in 1861 either - puzzling......  ::)

Will keep looking

Regards
Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Tonyrefail is just 3 miles north of Llantrisant, and a good possibility for your 'Tansevel'. (see my post above of 3 May ;) )

Tonyrefail is pronounce thus: TON (t-on [as in on / off]) YR (as in IR in birth) EF (like EV in DEVON) AIL (like ILE in MILE)
"T-on-ir-ev-ile"

Llantrisant is pronounced thus: LLAN (clan) TRIS (rhymes with Chris) ANT (as the insect 'ant')
"Clan-tris-ant"
(apologies to all Welsh speakers who all know how to correctly pronounce 'LL')

Tonyrefail was in the parish of Llantrisant, a subdistrict of Pontypridd.

Offline y2kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 August 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhondda and Angela

Thank you so much!  ;D Rhondda your phonetic explaination has helped a great deal. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place.

Angela did the marriage record list Walter's surname as Sealey or Sealy? If it is Sealey family lore is wrong.  :)

Thanks
Kaylene

Offline y2kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 August 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I have been thinking about the occupation - could it be Railway Wagon Unpinner?

Thanks
Kaylene

Offline y2kay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 August 05 23:41 BST (UK) »
Angela

On Eliza nee. Owens (Owners?) Sealey's death records in Australia (29/1/1885) her parents were listed as  George OWNERS and Mary Ann. There is a dispute as to whether it is Owners or Owens - it is listed as both in various records. Does this help with the Owens family in Somerset?

Thanks
Kaylene

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I have been thinking about the occupation - could it be Railway Wagon Unpinner?

Thanks
Kaylene

It looks like Railway Waggon Repairer to me...

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 22:11 BST (UK) »
SS from The Rhondda

Now you've said that, I'm sure you're right. You've obviously got more practice at this than I have!

Kaylene

The marriage record has Walter as Sealey, but then the census has him as Sealy. My experience with that particular name is that it varies a lot depending on the particular registrar. I've found brothers married at a similar time in adjoining districts and one is registered with an 'e' and the other without.

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire