Author Topic: Wives accompanying a regiment  (Read 742 times)

Offline Talmage

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wives accompanying a regiment
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know if regiments kept lists of wives who accompanied their husbands when posted overseas?
I am particularly interested in the 4th Light Dragoons when stationed in Ireland between 1814 and 1818.
I know the wife of the soldier I am interested in was there with him as mention is made of a payment made for him, his wife and two children to return to England when he was discharged.
I need to find her name, if possible, to make sure that I have the right person.
Thanks for any help.
Talmage

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wives accompanying a regiment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
It is, I think, unlikely that you will find the names of wives listed by the army.

I think that about 5% of wives were officially allowed to accompany their soldier husbands abroad and were officially on the ration strength of the Battalion. They were not, in my experience, listed by name on the muster roll. The 19th century army seemed to take a dim view of wives and certainly seemed to do little to encourage them or support them. I have seen recorded in muster rolls the money sent by men back to their wives, but again the women's names were not mentioned.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Wives accompanying a regiment
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Highly unlikely and also wives were onboard ships as well.

These women are a forgotten part of our miliary history, yet without their presence I am sure that the morale of the men would have been low.

And it was not only wives who followed the regiments and worked the boats - working girls got everywhere!
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)