Author Topic: Church of England, NSW. Walter NEARY  (Read 14745 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church of England, NSW. Walter NEARY
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 03:33 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann NEARY's death in 1841 is registered at St Lawrence's, Church of England, Sydney.

NEARY Mary A - age 29yrs -  Death 1841
Ref Number: V1841697 25B   
Parish: Sydney, St Lawrence's, Church of England

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
So that would be Walter Neary, junior, with Eleanor Collins ....  I will see if Eleanor is mentioned in the Cargo of Women ...

Back shortly.

EDIT TO ADD .... not found her in the appendix or references, BUT did find further details for Ann Marshall, with AO references, .

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 04:34 BST (UK) »
I read:
ANN Marshall
1829  18 Single  Protestant, Read & Write, native of Newcastle (UK), nursemaid, trial 3 Aug 1828 at Newcastle, housebreaking, 14 years, no previous convictions, 5 ft 2 ˝ inches, Ruddy freckled complexion, Brown hair, light hazel eyes.
May .... Assigned to James Warman, Sydney
Sept .... 1 month in 3rd Class at Female Factory, for disobedience (This would be the Female Factory at Parramatta, there’s several groups currently researching  the girls http://www.parragirls.org.au/female-factory.php   http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research_guides/convicts/instructions/female_factory.html 
Later in 1830 .... Assigned to Hannibal Macarthur Esq at Parramatta (JM notes Hannibal was part of the John Macarthur family)

1830  Assigned to Mrs McGilveroy of Sydney
Nov .... married Walter Neary per Asia, he was free by servitude and his occupation BAKER

1834 January.... Assaulted by her husband

1835 Nov  Ticket of Leave issued Sydney

1841 died Sydney, known issue : TWO   

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/
At the online index for NSW SRO using the keyword “MARSHALL”,  there’s various items available, including her Application to Marry which was lodged by Rev R Hill on 8 Nov 1830.   You can also obtain copies of the Orphan records for Walter Collins, and of course copies of the records for Walter Neary.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 04:37 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann NEARY's death in 1841 is registered at St Lawrence's, Church of England, Sydney.

NEARY Mary A - age 29yrs -  Death 1841
Ref Number: V1841697 25B   
Parish: Sydney, St Lawrence's, Church of England

Christ Church St Lawrence have a website, and their archivist is very helpful.  I think in 1841, the services were in a temporary building, perhaps on land donated by John Terry Hughes http://www.ccsl.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=243&Itemid=179

(Some of my early NS Walers were pew holders, as were many of those associated with the law courts)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 04:54 BST (UK) »
From the new website that replaces the IGI extracted website,  there may be some clues in the naming pattern of Walter and Mary Ann’s children...  https://www.familysearch.org/  (sorry, I can not get this as a live link ... wow, it came good ! )

Marriage 12 November 1830 at St James C of E, Sydney, Mary Ann Marshall and Walter Neary
Birth and Baptism of Joseph William Neary, son of Walter and Mary Ann Neary... born 5 July 1831, baptised 24 July 1831 at St James C of E.
Birth and Baptism of Walter Neary, son of Walter and Mary Anne Neary .... born 24 Oct 1832, baptised  19 Nov 1832 at St James C of E
Birth and Baptism of John Neary (actually transcribed as NAREY on that index) son of Walter and Mary Ann Narey, born 18 Dec 1837, baptised 24 Jan 1838.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 05:39 BST (UK) »
Re Walter 1832-1917

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15711030 SMH 22 May 1917

One gives name of his Hornsby residence "Sainsbury"
The other gives the cemetery .... Gore Hill.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Breo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information. :)

From a google search; it looks like Walter Neary (junior) has descendants in Australia doing his family tree ;)
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Neary-35

Offline Breo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
I see most of this on Reply #31, sorry to duplicate, so have edited.

You have listed the LDS entries for children born/baptised in greater London 1785-1825 with parents Walter and Margaret NEARY.

It is possible that these children are all from the same parent couple.  Margaret's childbearing seems to begin in 1794 when she may have been only 20 so to be still having children at abt 43 is possible.  There are certainly some repeated names but it was not unusual if a child died for the name to be used again.  Perhaps they moved from Spitalfields to Blackfriars between 1801 and 1804.

If you look again at the Old Bailey records of Walter NEARY's conviction of 24 October 1824, his address, according to what he told a witness is Grub St which is the address given for the baptism of Thomas in 1817.

Good spot with the Grub Street! They do look like the same family now. I suppose the earlier child named Walter James Neary could have died and I can't find his death - hence why there was a 2nd Walter James Neary, but........I still have a problem with my Margaret and the 2nd child named Margaret. The dates would add up for all the other NEARY children, but not the 2 Margarets'.

//MY MARGARET FROM MY TREE//
Child 3. Margaret Neary born 24 Feb 1799.
Baptised Christ Church Spitalfields, Stepney, London 17 March 1799.
Baptism records state Address Grey Eagle Street.
Father’s occupation: Labourer.
Parents listed as Walter Neary and Margaret.

Child 8. Margaret Neary
Baptised St Ann Blackfriars on 11 December 1814
Baptism records state:-Address -  Jacksons Court
Father – Porter

The first of these has to be my Margaret NEARY because of the date of birth of her son. Pallot's Marriage Index showing Samual FAIRFOOT married Margaret NEARY 8 October 1815 (handwritten entry clearly showing the surname NEARY). Their first child was Samuel FAIRFOOT (junior) born 10 August 1816 and died age 4. Margaret NEARY had another 8 children after that, so would still have been alive when the 2nd Margaret NEARY was born.

The St Ann records for the baptism of the second Margaret, doesn't have a date of birth as they just wrote on a blank page then and the details were very basic (until their new book had columns to fill in). Would my Margaret Neary have been baptised twice? Or would Walter and Margaret have decided to name another child Margaret, even though they already had a living daughter called Margaret? They seemed to like naming their children after themselves.

Thanks for all the help everyone, you've been brilliant.

Karen

Offline Breo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
From the new website that replaces the IGI extracted website,  there may be some clues in the naming pattern of Walter and Mary Ann’s children... 

That's an interesting thought on naming patterns of children. Looking at my Margaret Neary, she did seem to use some family names for her children: from the Neary line, William, Margaret and Elizabeth.

Margaret NEARY and Samuel FAIRFOOT's daughter Ann (Ann being the same name as Samuel Fairfoot's mother) continued the family names it seems. From the Neary names she had a William, Thomas, Elizabeth and Walter. This Walter then named one of his sons, Walter and another George.

All these names in bold, are 6 of the same 8 names that Walter (senior - the one I started this thread about) and his wife Margaret, had for some of their (10?) children.