Author Topic: Thomas CLATWORTHY 1703 at Culcombe  (Read 3499 times)

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas CLATWORTHY 1703 at Culcombe
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Trying to identify the parents of Thomas Clatworthy. I think it may be Joel 1667 and Joan 1674. Is there anyone with access to the parish records that could check it for me please?

Offline Trevor Paul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CLATWORTHY 1703 at Culcombe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, Do you mean CUTCOMBE. If so I have the Parish registers. Can you confirm please.  Regards Trevor
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />SOMERSET: POPE, GRIFFITHS, FLOYD,BAKER, LYDDON,QUICK,CHEEK(CHEECK)<br />DERBYSHIRE:/NOTTS; GENT,CLIFFORD,SIMMS,BINGHAM, DAYKIN, JOHNSON. FOX, HOPKINSON, COOKE, DOVE<br />SEDGLEY: HICKMAN, PALMER<br />YORKSHIRE: INMAN,BOTTOMLEY,MILNES.JESSOP

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Yes I should have put Cutcombe - sorry.

I have traced a line back to Thomas Clatworthy, birth Cutcombe about 1703.

I have also found the family of Joel Clatworthy 1667 married to Joan Clatworthy 1674. They had children:-
William 1695
Mary 1699
Joan 1701
Nathaniel 1707
Abraham 1708
Grace 1711
Sarah 1713
Ann 1715

I cannot find anything to link Thomas to this family although his birth date of 1703 would fit nicely into the family profile. I am hoping the parish records can confirm this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Offline Trevor Paul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, I have checked the parish register for Cutcombe and have found Thomas. He was baptised on October 3 1702. Parents are listed as Joel & Joan. Hope that helps.. I have checked to see if I could see Joel and Joan's marriage but there is no entry in the Cutcombe Parish. Do you know where they were wed.  Regards Trevor..... Ps. just for your records these are the baptism dates of the others:
William 22 March 1695, Mary 15 October 1699, Joan 17 May 1701, Nathaniel 10 May 1707,  Abraham 30 July 1709, Grace 26 January 1712, Sarah 20 February, 1714, Ann 11 February 1716.  As you can see there are some differences in some of the years from your information and that I have given you from the Parish registers.  However, I can assure you that I have double checked these dates and the ones I have supplied are correct.  Do you require any other info?
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />SOMERSET: POPE, GRIFFITHS, FLOYD,BAKER, LYDDON,QUICK,CHEEK(CHEECK)<br />DERBYSHIRE:/NOTTS; GENT,CLIFFORD,SIMMS,BINGHAM, DAYKIN, JOHNSON. FOX, HOPKINSON, COOKE, DOVE<br />SEDGLEY: HICKMAN, PALMER<br />YORKSHIRE: INMAN,BOTTOMLEY,MILNES.JESSOP

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Thanks for the information. The IGI shows further dates for Clatworthys in Cutcombe but I am not sure how reliable the data is.

It has the marriage of Joel and Joan as 1695 in Cutcombe but this may just be a guess based on their first born William. It also shows Joel's parents as William Clatworthy born Cutcombe 1634 and Joan Ridler born Cutcombe 1637, they married in Cutcombe in 1657.

William Clatworthy 1634 was the son of William Clatworthy born Culcombe 1614 and Emot Towill born Cutcombe 1616. They married in Cutcombe in 1634

I run out of ideas beyond that. There are Clatworthy families in Devon that can be traced back as far as 1430 but I cannot see a link to those. There are also Clatworthy families in Clatworthy in the 1580s but again I cannot see a link yet.

If you could check the Cutcombe dates above it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Martin

Offline Trevor Paul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, I have checked the Cutcombe Parish registers in my possession for the marriage of Joel & Joan but it is not there. However there are no entries in the registers from  February 11 1692 to April 22 1695. They appear to be missing. It is, therefore, possible that they married in the early months of 1695.
There is no entry for William in 1634 only a Grace CLATWORTHY on 13 July daughter of William &..... (blank). Later baptisms for William being the father have Emminge as the mother. I don't know if that helps. Before 1634 the entries are very few and far between.
In respect of Joan RIDLER all entries for 1637 are missing. There are some later entries for RIDLER with the parents listed as Gregory and Mary. The entries for 1614 and 1616 are missing so nothing for Emot or William. The marriage entries for 1634 only begin in April and there are only 4 for the whole year. This suggests that many are missing which could include William and Emot. All the entries up to 1638 are Bishops Transcripts which are not very complete. After that date the registers start and they are more complete.Copy this link  into your address bar  http://www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html    which should take you to Somerset Parish registers including some for Cutcombe from about 1705. Let me know if you need anything else. Regards Trevor

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 13 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm helping a lady here in South Australia trace her CLATWORTHY ancestors in England, saw your post and wondered if there may be a connection.

I'm only back to Thomas CLATWORTHY b.abt. 1787 in St. Stephens, Cornwall and married to Ann.
Thomas d.reg.Dec. 1874 age 91, Ann d.reg. Jun. 1847.

I also have 4 of their children from the censuses: Maria b.abt. 1815 m. Richard JANE;William b.abt. 1821 m1. Rebecca HOSKIN in 1844 and then emigrated to South Australia where he later married again; Martha b.abt. 1832, and Susan[?nah] b.abt. 1837.

If any of these names ring a bell I'd love to hear from you.

Peggy B.

~~~~~~~~--------------------Hi Trevor,

Yes I should have put Cutcombe - sorry.

I have traced a line back to Thomas Clatworthy, birth Cutcombe about 1703.

I have also found the family of Joel Clatworthy 1667 married to Joan Clatworthy 1674. They had children:-
William 1695
Mary 1699
Joan 1701
Nathaniel 1707
Abraham 1708
Grace 1711
Sarah 1713
Ann 1715

I cannot find anything to link Thomas to this family although his birth date of 1703 would fit nicely into the family profile. I am hoping the parish records can confirm this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin
WATHEN - Glos & Staffs. TEAGUE - Shrops & Cardiff. PRYOR -Cornwall

Offline chinngis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy B

I don't think I can help. The Thomas I was tracing only had female descendants (that I could find) so the name would not continue into the next generation.

His parents Joel 1667 at Cutcombe and Joan did have male descendants other than Thomas but I did not research these.

Offline Welshlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway. I think I have found a clue but haven't had a chance
to pursue it yet. Father may have been Abraham. Hope it proves a real lead.

Peggy B

Hi Peggy B

I don't think I can help. The Thomas I was tracing only had female descendants (that I could find) so the name would not continue into the next generation.

His parents Joel 1667 at Cutcombe and Joan did have male descendants other than Thomas but I did not research these.
WATHEN - Glos & Staffs. TEAGUE - Shrops & Cardiff. PRYOR -Cornwall