Author Topic: HELP: Where to start with Scottish Research?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HELP: Where to start with Scottish Research?
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I have read your posting which gives loads of info but where do I go to find the birth of someone that I haven't found on Scotlandspeople website?

Just to add to the confusion the person I am looking for Donald Kenneth Mathieson, b C1844 appears on at least 4 census' in Liverpool and is listed as being born in Ireland 1851, Ireland 1861, Scotland 1871 and Liverpool 1881!

Please give me some good advice and if you are in the know about searching births in Ireland that would be good as well.

Andi

PS Donalds brother and sisters were all born in Liverpool so I guess they were on a visit when he was born.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Where to start with Scottish Research?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Andi,

A warm welcome to Rootschat to you  ;D

You have got a pickle there.  So he may of been born in any of the 3 areas Ireland, Scotland, or Liverpool.

I can't help with Ireland - I'm wholly ignorant sorry  :'( But Moscan has written a how to get started...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3996.msg62738.html#msg62738

As for Scotland, since registration only started in 1855 he may still have been born in Scotland but may be the parish records haven't survived.

I've checked Freebmd and nowt for Liverpool  ???

So where now.

Well, I'd ask who completed the census returns, or who was likely to have completed them.

If his parents completed 51, 61 then I'd say there is a good degree of certainty that Ireland IS where he was born.  They are more likely to know than him where he was born.

I've often seen the place of birth defaulted to the parish of residence.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help, but Moscan's pages may help you though I think irish research is the toughest.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Andi,

I put a few hints together on Irish research that you may find useful I think its reply 3 on this topic.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3996.0.html

Sorry could only find what I presume is Donalds Marriage no confirmed sighting in the births...

and if I can help at all on the Irish side do get in touch

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline andi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies

Donalds father died 1850 so his mother would probably have filled in return in 1851 I also have details of Donalds marriage to Rachel Elizabeth Nuttall. My hope is that if I can find his birth it may give me a clue as to where his father Kenneth came from cos at the mo he seems to have appeared (in Liverpool to get married in 1831)out of nowhere.
I have noticed they seemed to have followed some kind of naming tradition which may also give me clues.
Thanks again
Andi