Author Topic: Where is Jane MacLea???  (Read 2094 times)

Offline douglasdee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Jane MacLea???
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 01:57 BST (UK) »
Recently I traced the birth my great great-grandmother Jane Gilmour, via  the census of 1891 to Applecross. Calculating her birthday by this and the 1871 census she was born in 1820 at Applecross. Her marriage to Thomas Gilmour is recorded on the 18th June,1849 at Applecross  her maiden name as Jane MacLea. The only 20 year old Jane/Janet MacLea via the 1841 I have found lives in the home Kenneth Matheson at Culduie. Clear enough until it is said her real position in this home was the wife of the son Alexander. The records state they wed twice once in 1838 and 1839. Why then recording her name as MacLea and role as female servant?? The available records seem to suggest two separate families developing from the one Jane MacLea. One staying near Applecross the other ending in the Dingwall area where she moved to receive support from the Gilmour family. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Offline kmaclea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Jane MacLea???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 02:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure of this particular question, but for all MacLea-related inquiries I suggest you try the Clan MacLea/Livingstone Forum:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/forum/

To register for the Forum, email commissioner -at- clanlivingstone.com

Kyle=

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Jane MacLea???
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 11 11:45 GMT (UK) »
See also:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,569116.0.html

There is a death showing for Jane Gilmour, 1906, Kiltearn, aged 85. Other name - McLeay. Widow of Thomas Gilmour, crofter.  Parents given as John McLeay, crofter and Helen m.s. McBeth. Both deceased.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***